This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working for the anti crist

we work with chemaicals all day, she has chemicals in the wrong bottles and there not labeled. like bleach in a windex bottle, is that illigal????/
    Last edited by lulu24; 11-11-2007, 06:39 AM. Reason: personal

Wouldnt a simpler solution be to look for a new job?
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by lulu24 View Post
      I have been working for this housekeeping company for many years now...and i think we are getting taken advantage of, plus i think we are getting screwed. When we walk in the door in the am, we are given are day, and we leave the office at 9 and start getting paid at 9. Sometimes we have to get supplies together before 9, but we dont get paid till 9... so we drive to are first job site and to the next and next. When we walk out of are last clients home, that is when we stoped getting paid, even though we have to drive back to the office to drop off are partner, and check in. so if we walk out of our last house at 2:47 and dont get back till the office till 3:10, we dont get paid for the 23 mins dive time, even though we have to go back to the office to check in and to drop off the partner.. is that legal. /
      You need to be paid for all hours actually worked. That is black letter law. Commutes are generally unpaid under the federal Portal-to-Portal act. If your employer is requring you to report to the office prior to going to the first job, then your day starts when you start working at the office. If your employer requires you to return to the office at the end of the day, then your day ends when you stop working at the office.

Also, we are required to wash are own rags, we dont get paid for the hour it takes, or reembersed for the money we spend at the laundry mat, is that leagal?/
      I am not sure. It would be legal to make you pay for cleaning your uniforms. I have no idea what rules (if any) apply to cleaning rags. I can see the argument going either way. While DOL no doubt has an answer, I do not know what that answer is. I can say that CA is almost the only state that requires work related expenses to be reimbursed as a matter of labor law, and California also has much more favorable uniform laws then the federal laws. I have no idea what California's laws on rags are, or what your state is for that matter.

And there are ppl in are company who are coke heads, pot head, and the boss knows this, and knows who they are, we have to use are own personal car, what happenes if you have a parnter who has drugs on them, and you get stoped in your car, what happens if you were in there car and they get stoped? could it fall back on the companey? pls help... I cant stand it anymore.. one more question, we work with chemaicals all day, she has chemicals in the wrong bottles and there not labeled. like bleach in a windex bottle, is that illigal????/
      This isses are beyond my area of expertise. Perhaps someone else can address them.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

thanks for the responces. Yes, we hav to drive back to the office, if we show up and they are not in the office we can go, but we still have to drive are partner back..its reallly (sad).....We are supposed to take off our time if we stop at the gas station to pick up a pop, but she wont pay us to drive are partner back, when in fact we are still on company time. I would not do that on my own time....
        Last edited by cbg; 11-10-2007, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Remedies tend to be state specific and also outside my area of expertise, but the general remedies (other then talking to your employer) are:
          - File a claim with your state's DOL (assuming your state actually has one).
          - File a claim with federal DOL.
          - File a small claims court action.
          - Talk to a lawyer and have him/her file a general court action. If you have fellow workers in the same position, this last option looks more attractive. Some states have no/low cost initial consultations with a lawyer available and it can be worth at least talking to an attorney. Try web searching "Legal Aid" with the name of your state.

Also, as Joe correctly mentions, organizing a union is a possibility.

And going to work for a better employer is also a possibility.

One advantage to filing a wage claim is that in theory anyhow most states will give you recourse if you are terminated because you filed a wage claim. This is generally referred to as the Public Policy exception to Employment-At-Will.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X