This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel pay Maryland

Employees drive company trucks from home to shop to drop of time cards and somtimes pickup materials (loaded by others) and then drive 20+miles to job site for their 8hr day. Should compensation be payed from shop to site or when does this apply? Also, if they come to shop to pickup their truck when does compensation begin and end?

If employees must come by the shop to pick up a work vehicle, and drop off and or pick up materials, then that is when their workday begins. same in reverse. If they must return to the shop to drop off materials and the company truck, then their work day ends once they have done so.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

And here's the FLSA regulation that addresses this.
      http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.38.htm
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

travel pay / time card info

What if the employee returns to shop to drop off time cards. When or how do we handle travel pay or compensation?

Comment

As stated above if they must return to the office to drop off items, including time cards, then yes, you must pay them. If travel is a significant chunk of the time worked, you may pay it at a lower rate than the performance of their regular job duties provided it is at least minimum wage. Your payroll staff may hate you, but it is legal. If the travel time is less than a hour and or these are not highly paid employees to begin with, then it probably isn't worth it.

All of this assumes that these employees are not exempt from OT and paod hourly to begin with. I assume this is some sort of construction company?
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X