This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Issues-not sure which applies Illinois

I have been at my job for almost 10 years. 2 years ago I was injured in a freak accident on the job. The company did take care of my medical bills and I did receive w/c wages with no hassles. I did not undergo surgery but did receive alot of physical therapy on my knee. Last week I entered into a settlement with the insurance company. I did not hire an attorney either & I feel I received a fair settlement. A handful of things have happened since this injury...from having my disability time off (I was off work for 13 weeks) used against me on a review, being told that everyone in the company complains about me, asking me my nationality to explain other employees complaints away, being written up after I signed out for the day and was "off the clock" being told that I was disrespectful to the Operations manager, being given a lateral move on the job and now it is post-poned due to budgets (which could be possible). Now I have been told that Corp policy requires that I take a 30 minute lunch as well as state agencies require this. I have found nothing to that fact. I usually work through my lunches and I have been putting in 6 to 10 hours overtime per week. I find this recent "law" rather odd as there is another gal in the department that works 6 hours a day and she is not required to "take a lunch". I have had to thoroughly train 2 full time employees for my job and learn a new job at the same time. Even though my lateral move has been held up, my current work responsibilities were given to a temp I was training and I was told if she has one more "outburst" on the job....I will get fired-not exact words...but close enough. (I am not in management).

I am really beginning to feel harrassed and discriminated against here. Many days I am walking on egg-shells wondering who is going to compain next. I never receive a straight answer when I ask for clarity. To top this all off, my "big boss" who is doing much of this is a lawyer...he no longer practices law...he is a Customs Manager. From the way I see it my rights have been and are violated on a frequent basis...but that is my opinion and I am not sure if the "law" would see it as such. I am and have been talked about by my managers to co-workers....There are many more things like this that have been ocurring for a while now. I am a 53 year old female and I am not crazy about the idea of finding another job, however, I am willing to do what I need to.

Any "legal" suggestions / directions for me here as I am not certain where this is all going to end and I really feel that I could use some counsel at this point or at least some ponters!

Best Regards,
    Gal In Limbo

They cannot use that disability time off against you. That is illegal.
    Being told about others' complaints about you is not illegal.
    You can be written up for your actions off the clock.
    I'm not going to look up to find out where it is a law (it isn't in most states) to take a 30 minute break, but as the employer, they are allowed to require it, regardless of not requiring it previously.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Illinois requires a 20-minute meal period if the employee works at least 7.5 hours, which must occur no later than 5 hours into the work day. And it isn't a "recent" law.

What is the law regarding breaks and meal periods?
      An employee who is to work 7 1/2 continuous hours or more shall be provided an unpaid meal period of at least 20 minutes. The meal period must be given to an employee no later than 5 hours after beginning work. Illinois has no law regarding breaks.

http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qaodrisa.htm
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X