This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company loss

Hello. Question: An employee did not make a nightly required deposit in amount of $1200. The store location was broken into that same night and the entire deposit and merchandise was stolen.

Can we deduct the amount of deposit (or at least) one/half from the employee's future pay checks? He has said he will pay the money back. Please provide insight on this. Thanks.

Considering that you didn't post your state as requested, I can't say for absolute certain, but the deduction could not take the employee below minimum wage. Why did he say he'd pay it back? Did you tell him you would fire him if he didn't agree?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No Deposit

The state is Michigan. I selected it, guess it didn't come through.

Comment

No Deposit

Detroit, Michigan-

He said that he rushed out because he needed to pick up his son and did not make the deposit. He was going to make it the following morning. He was never told that he was going to be fired.

Comment

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,...1944--,00.html

OK, editing again, now that I know.

I understand he feels responsible and he was, to some extent. And I understand you want to hold him accountable. I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this, even though the law does not literally prohibit the deduction if the employee authorizes it in writing. Maybe another responder can put this into words better than I can.
          Last edited by Pattymd; 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Let me put it this way, if the employee had not yet closed up and the store was robbed of the $1,200 and merchandise, would you still want the employee to pay the money back? Isn't that why you carry insurance or should? I believe you would be setting a very bad precedent.
            Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

No deposit

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't think about it that way.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X