This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma law on overtime Oklahoma

I am a home health nurse. My company has cut out all overtime. I offered to work an extra day (which would be 50 hours for the week) for regular pay and they told me that its against the law and that if you work over 40 hours a week that the employer has to pay the overtime. Is this true?

Originally posted by angrockins View Post
    I am a home health nurse. My company has cut out all overtime. I offered to work an extra day (which would be 50 hours for the week) for regular pay and they told me that its against the law and that if you work over 40 hours a week that the employer has to pay the overtime. Is this true?
    They are correct. Any non-exempt employee who works more than 40 hours in a week has to be paid overtime at time and half for every hour over 40.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

waiver

Is there some kind of waiver you can sign or something to do to get around it?

Comment

Originally posted by angrockins View Post
        Is there some kind of waiver you can sign or something to do to get around it?
        No, non-exempt employees (generally, those paid hourly) cannot waive rights to overtime.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

Overtime Pay May Not Be Waived: The overtime requirement may not be waived by agreement between the employer and employees. An agreement that only 8 hours a day or only 40 hours a week will be counted as working time also fails the test of FLSA compliance. An announcement by the employer that no overtime work will be permitted, or that overtime work will not be paid for unless authorized in advance, also will not impair the employee's right to compensation for compensable overtime hours that are worked.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X