Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Paid Maternity Leave AND no STD??? Is this legal???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moburkes
    replied
    Thanks for the distinction.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    If I can make a distinction here, some states such as CA have state tax sponsored paid disability leave, which include maternity leave.

I would agree that no state as far as I know requires that employers provide paid leave for maternity.

Leave a comment:

• moburkes
    replied
    The others are correct. There is no law in any state that requires STD or paid maternity.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    At least you're checking now. You can always purchase your own disability policy.

Leave a comment:

• demartian
    replied
    Originally posted by cayso2 View Post
    Hi,

I live in New Mexico and I work for one of the largest school districts in the country, Albuquerque Public Schools. I am planning on becoming pregnant and I am shocked to discover that APS offers no paid maternity leave AND no Short Term Disability. If one is a member of our Teacher's Union, one can join a "leave bank" in which members donate sick leave time and others can use it in the case of an extended absence of some kind. However, there is one exception to being able to take advantage of this: maternity leave. Can this be legal??? I am sole breadwinner at home - husband is full time student!

Thank you!
    While I am very surprised that your Union contract did not secure those benefits for you, no employer is required to give benefits to their employees.

I am not sure if the Union's leave bank is required to treat Maternity leave the same as any other leave however. An employer who offered something to its employees who are out due to a surgery would be required to offer the same for medically approved maternity leave for example. I am unsure about the leave bank however. There are a few others who post here that may know more about the Union issue.

Leave a comment:

• cayso2
    replied
    Sorry, wrong forum

I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry! I've reposted in the right place!

Leave a comment:

• cayso2
    started a topic No Paid Maternity Leave AND no STD??? Is this legal???

No Paid Maternity Leave AND no STD??? Is this legal???

Hi,

I live in New Mexico and I work for one of the largest school districts in the country, Albuquerque Public Schools. I am planning on becoming pregnant and I am shocked to discover that APS offers no paid maternity leave AND no Short Term Disability. If one is a member of our Teacher's Union, one can join a "leave bank" in which members donate sick leave time and others can use it in the case of an extended absence of some kind. However, there is one exception to being able to take advantage of this: maternity leave. Can this be legal??? I am sole breadwinner at home - husband is full time student!

Thank you!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X