This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling mandatory OT California

I just registered and don't really know how this works. I am an unionized Unit Operator for a petrochemical refinery in northern California. My employer is trying to change our regular schedule to one that includes mandatory OT. I need to know if there are any laws that outline a maximum number of hours an employer can make you work (possibly specific to the petrochemical job field) and is there a minimum number of days advanced notice that an employer is required to give before they can change your schedule? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Not an industry I have worked with so this is going to be a soft answer. I do not see your industry listed on the Wage Order list, which is the normal place one would find industry specific regulations. Still there could be some obscure rule running around that I have not heard of.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/WageOrderIndustries.htm

California has some very weak "7 days worked in the work week" rules. You need to read all labor laws in the 551-558 range, not just pick out one that seems to say what you want it to say.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...0&file=500-558

I have never heard of a rule requiring advance notice on shift changes.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X