This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Attendance Florida

I have been with my current employer for over 5 years and only today I have been advised I must start keeping a record of attendance i.e. not only signing in and out of the office but they have also demanded I have keep the record. According to my boss the paper record is a Florida Law requirement.

My questions are:
    1. Is this true?
    2. Can they just come up with this out of the blue after so long (I was never before required to do this)?
    3. Should I have to keep these records when I am not the attendance keeper?

I don't think it makes any difference, but I am an Exempt employee.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Originally posted by louvejita View Post
    I have been with my current employer for over 5 years and only today I have been advised I must start keeping a record of attendance i.e. not only signing in and out of the office but they have also demanded I have keep the record. According to my boss the paper record is a Florida Law requirement.

My questions are:
    1. Is this true?
    2. Can they just come up with this out of the blue after so long (I was never before required to do this)?

I don't think it makes any difference, but I am an Exempt employee.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.
    Well, yes, they should have records of the dates/times that you work. Yes, they can start enforcing this at any time. Yes, if they tell you to keep the records, then, yes you are required to keep them.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

According to my boss the paper record is a Florida Law requirement.
      I am skeptical that this is really a Florida Law requirement. Florida has almost nothing in the way of labor laws, and this seems to be a curious place for them to start.

However moburkes is certainly correct that it is legal for your employer to require this action. It is very common (and legal) for employers to require Exempt emloyees to keep time accounting records. My last employer was a very large software company that required all employees from the CEO on down to keep detailed time accounting records. This was done because wages were far and away the single biggest expense this company had and management wanted to know what everyone was working on. That is a good reason. However employers do not need a good reason to impose a work rule. They just need the work rule to not break any actual laws, and this rule does not.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

My questions are:

1. Is this true?
        No. It is not a Florida law. Federal law requires employers to keep a track of daily hours worked for non-exempt employees. There is no requirement to track exempt employee time nor a prohibition on doing so. I would advise any employer to track the hours of all employees, exempt or non-exempt.

Yes, they can.

If the employer tells you to track your time, you do what the employer says or risk the consequences.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X