This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resturant Managers working as Servers Pennsylvania

My girlfriend works as a server in an italian resturant and works 6 days a week. When she gets home after work she's tired and complains she's not making no money, she averages between $30 to $100 a night. She constantly complains that Her Manager (paid salary) also acts like a server and takes costumers that she know pay high tips.

I was wondering if that is legal?

I found this article on a lawsuit on the web.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...n_tip_lawsuit/

Thanks
    E
    Last edited by EMAN; 10-21-2007, 07:02 AM. Reason: misspelled a word

Yes, it is legal.

The article that you referenced has nothing to do with your question.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I pointed out the article because Hilltop Resturant Claimed:

"During the trial, Hilltop Restaurant said its managers were entitled to tips because they regularly served food and beverages"

I dont know the outcome of the trial.

I do see my girlfriend fustration. (servers rotate customers)If a Manager (salary) acts as a server and only take high tip customers (regular cutomers that come in) by bypassing the rotation it takes money away from the servers.

I do see a problem with this.....

Thanks again

E

Comment

Originally posted by EMAN View Post
        Thank you for your prompt reply.

I pointed out the article because Hilltop Resturant Claimed:

"During the trial, Hilltop Restaurant said its managers were entitled to tips because they regularly served food and beverages"

I dont know the outcome of the trial.

I do see my girlfriend fustration. (servers rotate customers)If a Manager (salary) acts as a server and only take high tip customers (regular cutomers that come in) by bypassing the rotation it takes money away from the servers.

I do see a problem with this.....

Thanks again

E
        The part in the article about regularly serving food and beverages is different than what you are describing. You go to a restuarant, you place your order, and someone besides your waitperson brings your food or beverage. THAT is what the article is referring to.

What you have described is the managers actually doing the job of the servers from start to finish, if I am understanding what you wrote. Meaning, I come in, I tip extremely well, so the manager chooses to wait on my table, so that he can get my huge tip. That is legal.

If your GF doesn't like it, then she needs to find another job.
        Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

I see a problem with it too, but it's not a legal problem. If that's the way the managers operate, and the owners see no problem with it, she can always vote with her feet. I'd be surprised if other servers aren't considering it also.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X