This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Day Laws in PA Pennsylvania

I work for a company that has a habit of not allowing you to take vacation days on the days your request. The basically tell you the weeks of the month you are allowed to take. Anyway, I put in for 3 vacation days in December. I was told I am not allowed to use them even though other employees in another facility for the company are allowed to use them.

I have a wonderful doctor who is always concerned for my health. i am completely overstressed from work all the time and he tries to get me to take a week of for stress, but I always refuse. What I am getting at is, "can I just take off sick for those days I requested as long as I have a doctors excuse?" and can the company do anything to me if I have the excuse from the doctor?

Originally posted by Knugs View Post
    I work for a company that has a habit of not allowing you to take vacation days on the days your request. The basically tell you the weeks of the month you are allowed to take. Anyway, I put in for 3 vacation days in December. I was told I am not allowed to use them even though other employees in another facility for the company are allowed to use them.

I have a wonderful doctor who is always concerned for my health. i am completely overstressed from work all the time and he tries to get me to take a week of for stress, but I always refuse. What I am getting at is, "can I just take off sick for those days I requested as long as I have a doctors excuse?" and can the company do anything to me if I have the excuse from the doctor?
    Unless you are out on FMLA, the doctor's note will not help you if the company decides to fire you.

It was not long ago that we had an employee ask for specific days off. Unlike you, it was not months in advance, but less than a week. We declined to allow the time off. The employee called in sick on the first day he wanted off. He got to have a lot of time off that day and all the days that followed since we fired him.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

A doctor's excuse has legal affect only if the condition is FMLA-qualifying (and assuming your employer is subject).

1. Does the employer have at least 50 employees at your job site or within 75 miles of your job site?
      2. Have you worked for this employer for at least one year?
      3. Have you worked at least 1,250 hours in the past 12 months?

Let's start there.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X