X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being fired in N.J. on wednesday New Jersey

getting fired wednesday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Guys, thank you for having me.

I have a problem in a sales position. I am currently at my job since may-05 and I work in one of two stores.

4 months ago, i was transfered to another store as a manager with a signed written agreement of days & salary signed by myself and my boss and i have copies.

it started out with weekend off and about one month they said i have to work every other weekend. now its every weekend! it was part of my contract not to work weekend but i did it not to lose my job.. also for the past 4 straight weeks my checks have not been cut or have been wrong..

now, a new GSM has taken over the store and is starting to bring in his own people. I told him i will be away this past weekend to go buy property upstate and he got pissed off and said he needed me this weekend.. i said sorry but this was planned for the past 2 months with the other GSM who worked here, who by the wat quit!.

while on vacation, one of the emplyees called me and said they are training someone for your job while you are gone., I said what? he said they are traning him in the other store for your position..

needless to say i was very upset,

i get back and and walked into work today and everyone knows i am getting fired. i walked over to the new GSM and said is there something you have to tell me, he said no the owner will be back on wednesday & than i will confirm whats going on.. that is rediculous to wait to get fired..

and is there something i can do while waiting to be fired?????

and can i get a lawyer involved and sue??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what?

What would you sue for? Being replaced? Happens. Legal.

You refuse to work the days that are necessary. You took time off after the GSM refused.

That kind of insubordination would have you fired in my store, too.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

i am not refusing to work the days neccesary,.,,

my written agreement signed by me & GSM. says mon to fri 8:30 to 4:30

and no saturdays..

if i work saturday i get $100

no they want me to work saturdays and take a day off during the week, which breaks my signed agreement..

and than training someone while i am off for the weekend and everyone in the biulding knows i am being fired!!

what do you work for companies??????????
      Last edited by DOGGY; 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Yep, nothing illegal. Business needs change.
        Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

so,
          you are saying with a signed agreement i would lose if i take it futher??

they would not think its a binding agreement.. than why sign an agreement, its like a contract! is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by DOGGY View Post
            so,
            you are saying with a signed agreement i would lose if i take it futher??

they would not think its a binding agreement.. than why sign an agreement, its like a contract! is it not?
            Yes. They cannot promise you that, forever, they will not have a need for things to change. Using your logic, you could never get promoted or get a raise - because you have a binding contract otherwise.

They presented you with salary and work hours, not a contract. Your signature acknowleged receipt, nothing else.

Comment

i am a paid salary manager of the dept..

and they can tell everyone else they are firing me?

if they fire me can i collect??

Comment

Originally posted by DOGGY View Post
                i am a paid salary manager of the dept..

and they can tell everyone else they are firing me?

if they fire me can i collect??
                Yes, they can tell people that. Collect what? Your last paycheck?

If you cannot work the hours that they need you, I can't imagine that you'll get unemployment.

Comment

Oh, I don't know. I've seen stranger things happen. It would certainly be worthwhile to apply for unemployment; the state, not the employer, decides who gets it. I would think that the reason the poster is unable to work the hours needed would have an impact on whether he can collect UI or not.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

UI, you may, repeat may, collect.

There is no reason to sue the company. Well, other than you are mad. You will not find a lawyer to take the case because you have not been damaged.

Let me ask you this. If you would have worked the hours your new boss required, would you still have your job? Then the decision was yours, not his.

I am continually amazed at people in retail that don't want to work weekends. If you want a 9-5, work in an office.
                    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X