Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.


This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Florida

    The company I work for has had mandatory overtime for the past 2 weeks. I have been coming in on the weekends and staying late on the week days. Yesterday, I informed my employer that I wouldn\'t be able to work today (Saturday)and they approved it, but today I received a phone call from my manager telling me that they needed me to come in this weekend and that he was considering firing 2 other people because they didn\'t show up this weekend. Is it legal to threaten an employee in this manner?

  • #2
    Your employer is the boss - they can require you to come in to work at any time unless you have an employment contract to the contrary. They can discipline you for not coming in including firing you. It would not be illegal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      Of course it is legal to notify an employee when their job is in jeopardy. If they didn't tell you, when they fired you you'd be asking if they weren't supposed to give you warning. This is your warning.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.