This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpaid leave-Indiana

I have requested and been denied one week of unpaid time off due to continuing back problems that sometimes leave me bed ridden. In my written request I stated that I'd like this time alloted in case it was needed. Our policy states one week of unpaid leave can be granted without board approval but simply needs to be written and given to our Director. My Director however submited my request to the board anyway, and it was denied. I was told I had been given enough time to take care of this problem which is untrue. I wasn't GIVEN any time but instead had used my vacation time to start therapy.

So what are the guidelines for Indiana concerning unpaid leaves of absence in such matters?

How long have you worked for this employer?
    How many employees does the employer have within 75 miles of your location?
    In the last 12 months, did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours?
    How much time have you missed for this or any other medical condition in the last 12 months, regardless of whether it was paid time or not?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

unpaid leave

Approximately 8 to 10 employees

Yes I've worked a minimum of those hours.

I've used up all my sick time which accrues at one day per month and I've worked here approx. 3 and ahlf years. Very little of the time off has been due to this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

What cbg was trying to determine was if the employer was subject to FMLA and, if so, if you meet the criteria for job-protected leave. The employer is not subject because it has less than 50 employees.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Under the circumstances you describe, they have no legal obligation under either state or Federal law to approve a leave of absence, sorry.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

unpaid leave

Thanks for your help anyway.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X