Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Payroll Records Question? California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Payroll Records Question? California

    How long is an employer required to hold payroll records??
    I think its 3 years but want to make sure.

  • #2
    You have it correctly.

    The US Department of Labor can go back three years on audits, so you need the appropriate documentation for them to go back that far.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


    • #3
      It sort of depends on which payroll records you are talking about. IRS requires tax returns (W2, 940, 941, deposits) plus supporting documents to be kept at least 4 years after the tax return was filed. If by "payroll" you include documents more traditionally associated with HR, it gets really interesting. ERISA documents (deferred comp, pension) have a 7 year retention requirement. I-9 documents are kept until (I think) 18 months after termination. States can have longer then federal requirements, although I am pretty sure that is not true for CA.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


      • #4
        I-9 documents must be retained for the duration of employment then the latter of 3 years from the date of hire or 1 year after the date of termination.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.