This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Reimbursment South Dakota

My company currently reimburses my internet bill as I am required to have high speed for on-call purposes. They are considering cancelling this reimbursement, is this a legal issue at all as I'm required to have it?

In the absence of a bona fide contract guaranteeing payment, the only state where they would be required by law to reimburse you for this expense would be California.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Taxes

Grey -

Write it off on your taxes at hte end of the year.

Comment

Would cancelling my internet service give them legitimate grounds for termination?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyStreet View Post
          Would cancelling my internet service give them legitimate grounds for termination?
          If it made you unable to get connected and service a call on time, I can certainly see where they would terminiate for that.

Comment

Legally, they don't need "grounds" to terminate you. They can term you for any reason not prohibited by law.

But yes, if you were required to have internet service as a condition of employment and you cancelled your service, that's a legitimate reason to term.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyStreet View Post
              Technically, they need no grounds for termination, so long as they do not fire you for an illegal reason (race, sex, religion, etc).

Firing you because you refused to incur the costs of maintaining high speed internet access would not be illegal.

You MIGHT qualify for unemployment, if they fired you for that reason. Broadband access is not cheap and the UI folks MIGHT find that your refusal to pay for it yourself is not misconduct.

Seriously, if you had the access before the company required you to have it, the reimbursements were gravy and you should simply take the hit.

If you did not have it before and would not have it but for the company requirement to do so, talk to someone about the financial impact on you.

I have no idea how many folks are "on call" with the expectation that they can use high speed internet access, but if there are quite a few and the hours on-call for each are not very much, then the cost to the company for the reimbursements to all could be substantial.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X