Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland and US Law Do not force my employer to give me a Break, but.. Maryland

I also am not allowed to eat anything on the shift. I can only drink. I am a cashier in a restaurant and my shift is 7.25-7.5 hours per day, usually a 3 -10:15 or 10:30 p.m. shift. Even if I eat a full meal at 2:30 p.m right before I have to go in, right around 9 p.m. I start to feel really hungry and this often makes me feel sick, plus around 9 is the time of the hardest work load, because I carry items for stocking from downstairs up to the main part of the restaurant. By 9:45 p.m., I really start to feel terrible. It really shocked me when I found out that there is no law in Maryland that requires employers to take breaks. But since I can't even eat, I was wondering if there was something I could do.......? Please help. This doesn't seem America in 2007 to me at ALL.

Even worse, I have to work 8 a.m.- 3:30 p.m. this Sunday. No break. This will be worse because I will be skipping lunch and breakfasts are small in size.
    Last edited by modress; 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM.

Maryland has no law that requires meal and/or rest breaks. Sorry.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Carnation's Instant Breakfast drink. I recommend the chocolate.
      Not the canned kind, but the instant kind you mix with milk.
      Put it in a bottle or container, and take it to work.

I've lived on the stuff, at least one meal a day, at least 5 days a week, since high school.

I have low blood sugar a lot of the time, so I can totally understand that you would get dizzy or shaky from not eating for several hours.

Comment

Welcome to America

Originally posted by modress View Post
        I also am not allowed to eat anything on the shift. I can only drink. I am a cashier in a restaurant and my shift is 7.25-7.5 hours per day, usually a 3 -10:15 or 10:30 p.m. shift. Even if I eat a full meal at 2:30 p.m right before I have to go in, right around 9 p.m. I start to feel really hungry and this often makes me feel sick, plus around 9 is the time of the hardest work load, because I carry items for stocking from downstairs up to the main part of the restaurant. By 9:45 p.m., I really start to feel terrible. It really shocked me when I found out that there is no law in Maryland that requires employers to take breaks. But since I can't even eat, I was wondering if there was something I could do.......? Please help. This doesn't seem America in 2007 to me at ALL.

Even worse, I have to work 8 a.m.- 3:30 p.m. this Sunday. No break. This will be worse because I will be skipping lunch and breakfasts are small in size.
        The good ole U.S. of A.

The only industrialized country in the world where you can work for 8 hours with no madatory breaks to eat, drink or go the the bathroom.

76 other countries in the world have mandatory paid time off from work for health care issues, for family and workers themselves. We cant afford it in America.

97 other countries in the world with government provided child care for working mothers. In America we can't afford it.

The only industrialized country in the world that doesnt guarantee preventative Health Care for all its citizens. In America we can't afford it.

I'm sorry you have to work all day without a meal break. I don't know what else to say.

Its time working people got fed up. I know I am.

Comment

Originally posted by sposito View Post
          The good ole U.S. of A.

The only industrialized country in the world where you can work for 8 hours with no madatory breaks to eat, drink or go the the bathroom.

76 other countries in the world have mandatory paid time off from work for health care issues, for family and workers themselves. We cant afford it in America.

97 other countries in the world with government provided child care for working mothers. In America we can't afford it.

The only industrialized country in the world that doesnt guarantee preventative Health Care for all its citizens. In America we can't afford it.

I'm sorry you have to work all day without a meal break. I don't know what else to say.

Its time working people got fed up. I know I am.
          If you're fed up, lobby your legislators instead of spending your time complaining on this board. If you don't like the way the system works, you're more than welcome to move to one of the other countries you speak so fondly of.

Modress: have you talked to your employer about it? is it just that they don't want you eating in the building? Is it possible for them to let you go out to your car for 10 minutes so you can eat a quick snack and then return? Try talking with management about it, especially if you're feeling sick. Or you can try TS's solution. I must say, I enjoy the chocolate myself.

Comment

TS's suggestion was a good one if your employer is not willing to budge.

I like the chocolate malt made with whole milk. It sticks with you longer. This is also what I give my kids in the morning because none of us likes to eat breakfast.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
            (unique up on him)
            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
            (same way)

Comment

Instant breakfast, Boost or soup in a thermos are all good ways to get liquid "food". If asking for a break won't work, then I'd also suggest looking for an employer who believes in granting breaks. note this would be most any other employer. Those that don't provide any breaks or meal periods have a harder time finding and keeping employees.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X