X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No pay for 5 weeks, ignored phone calls, etc Arizona

Hello,

I am wondering what the law is in Arizona. I quit my job 5 weeks ago. I gave notice, but she didn't want my notice. I wasn't a bad employee by the way. This was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

She expected me, not agreed as the position she offered, but later, to keep my hours open from 9am to 6 pm for her. But I would get called everyday and ask to come in at different times, sometimes 10am, 12pm, etc. I didn't keep my hours open though until 12 pm for her and so she would get pissed, but I refused to be on-call at the extreme. Then, I would be sent home whenever the ratio of kids was one teacher to 6 kids. It varried everyday. Sometimes 3:30pm, 5pm, etc. I had to keep 9 hours open per day 5 days a week, but only got around 4 hours of work per day.

Plus, since quitting, I have only received one paycheck, 1 week out of the 4 weeks I worked there. She still owes me 3 weeks of pay, over $500. By the way, this was a job that was paid $8/hour. And the treatment there was horrible, and even though my position was to watch kids, watching kids was secondary, and cleaning was the primary thing. She even *****ed that I wasn't cleaning enough and spending too much time with the kids!

What are the laws? What can I do? I called the owner of the chain of 4 preschools, and she said she would talk to her, but still nothing. This woman was the co-owner of the one preschool I worked for. And not to mention, we were required to use bleach continuously, and not at the safe 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. She wanted it to reak of bleach and that was one of the things she complained about with my cleaning methods. She said it didn't reak. In order for it to reak of bleach, more like a ratio of 50/50 or 3 parts bleach to 1 part water was expected. What can I do? Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this!

You can file a complaint with the state DOL about the unpaid wages.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I got a call from the owner of all of the preschools and of coarse, she wouldn't admit they had done anything wrong. They said they would mail out one of my paychecks, however, they are going to withhold pay for the last week because I didn't give a formal 2 week notice. I gave her a 1 week notice, but she didn't want me to come back to even do that so I don't know what a formal 2 week notice would have done. I thought giving notices was courteous, but not mandatory to receive pay. I am 99.99% sure on this and I left a message that they can't withhold pay like that. They are doing it out of spite.

Comment

She must pay you for all the time actually worked. She need not pay you for any unworked notice period.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you JoeC. I actually mailed in my wages claim to the DOL today. I don't know if I can withdraw that or not.

Comment

I'm not sure what right to work laws (which as JoeC knows, only means that an employee is not required to join a union in order to get a particular job) has not do with not getting paid on time.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X