X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• claiming company policy is state law. Missouri

Hi,
    I hope someone here can help me out with this. I live and work in Missouri. The company I work for is in Missouri as well but its head quarters are in Cal. Not sure if that makes a difference.

The company forces a half hour break before the fifth hour of work during a 8 hour shift. You don't have to take your second break if you work 12 hours. They claim that it is a Missouri law. I looked tonight and found Missouri does not a law that forces a break. Am I correct in this?

Is it illegal for the company to say that the company policy is a state law?

Thanks
    Thomas

Since you live & work in Mo., Mo. law should apply & the state of Mo. does not require any breaks. However, your employer can legally require you to take breaks. They are incorrect though when they say it is a law in Mo. Ca. does require breaks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

No, it is not illegal to say that company policy is a state law. It is a mistake.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And even if it's an out-and-out lie, and not a mistake, that isn't illegal, either.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Thomas

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X