X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico DOL in English

Hi,

Can anyone give me a link to a web site (perfreably DOL) for Puerto Rico that is in English and supplies HR/Labor Law topics?

Any help is appreciated.

I wish I could; I've been looking for one myself.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I've never been able to find one either. At previous employers with operations in Puerto Rico, I would ask one of the local supervisors who read Spanish to look up stuff for me and to call the DOL to ask specific questions in Spanish.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

PR DOL in English

I've been using a website that translates Spanish to English

http://babelfish.altavista.com

I just cut and paste, ask it to translate from Spanish to English and then cut and paste it into my own word document.

I'm working very hard to find out about overtime pay in Puerto Rico - any clues?

The actual website for the PR DOL is:
        http://dtrh.gobierno.pr
        Last edited by jstallt; 09-01-2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jstallt View Post
          I'm working very hard to find out about overtime pay in Puerto Rico - any clues?
          Maybe. The following quote is from an April 2001 article that I saved (and which the website is no longer available). I am not expert on Puerto Rico. I do not know if the article was correct or if things have changed.

"Puerto Rico’s overtime laws require employers to pay employees one and one half times the normal pay rate for any hours worked in excess of 8 hours in a work day. Over 40 hours worked per week, overtime is still paid per the federal requirements."
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I would suggest you contact the federal DOL-Wage Hour Div as they would know if there are any local laws that need be follow in PR. I would suspect that the federal guidelines are the default ones. With the exception of local holidays plus all federal ones. They also have several field offices thruouht the island in Mayaguez, Arecibo & Ponce...

Caribbean District Office
            US Dept. of Labor
            ESA Wage & Hour Division
            7 Tabonuco Street
            San Patricio Office Center 4th Fl.
            Guaynabo, PR 00968

1-866-4-USWAGE
            (1-866-487-9243)

David R. Heffelfinger
            District Director

Ed Fernandez
            Asst. District Director
            ========================================

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Comment

Excellent suggestion, Army, thank you.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X