Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Salaried Employees

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salaried Employees

    Are salaried employees required to turn in a timesheet that breaks down daily hours worked per pay period, or can they just be credited a lump sum of hours, say 50 per week, with no daily breakdown?

  • #2
    If the employees are exempt, it's entirely up to the employer. The law neither requires nor prohibits the keeping a specific record of hours worked for exempt employees.

    If the employees are non-exempt, but paid on a salaried basis, the law requires that an accurate record of hours worked be kept. How the employer chooses to do that is up to them. It can be by having the employee turn in a time sheet or it can be done other ways, but it must be done.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Some states like CA require more detailed time accounting information be maintained by Non-Exempt employees then do other states. But otherwise, like CBG says, employers can require any employee to keep whatever time accounting records that the employer wants.

      It is sometimes believed the Exempt Salaried can not be required to maintain time accounting records, but that is a belief not substantiated anywhere in law.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.