This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Forced use of vacation

I am a new exempt employeee . I have been on board for 5 months. The HR dept that I work in has random mandatory days off that I am required to use my PTO for. I was told that I must use vacation time and that I could not go unpaid. I am unable to accure pto for a vacation that I choose. I was told that any vacation that I did not have PTO time for may be not approved. Can an Employer dictate madatory days and use up your vacation? Today is the forth day off in my 5 month period that is mandatory to " help ease the Budget".

Yes, they can. An employer is not required to provide paid vacation or PTO at all; they get to make the rules about when and under what circumstances it can be used.

Additionally, since they are the ones who are opting to close for the day, they are correct that it cannot go unpaid. Under the law, an exempt employee cannot have their pay docked except under very limited circumstances, which do not include a one-day company closing. However, that means that if you run out of vacation, they must still pay you for these days.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X