X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please advise Maryland

Ok, this is my situation....
    A few months ago, I was recently promoted as a supervisor. I was receiving rave reviews about my performance and everything was just great. Then my direct boss came to me and told me that one of the government guys threatened her and told her that if I remain supervisor, that he will take the contract from her. This guy has been in the government for over 30 years, and is about to retire soon. We had a great rapport and even golfed together. The issue between us came about when I would want to supervise my crew and did not have as much time to sit around and chat all the time with him. I had a job to do. Therefore my boss received this threat and became very upset, telling me that she hate to do this, and I am the greatest, and please do not leave, but she must take my position back in order to keep her contract. She said that I would keep the pay that she gave me so not to worry about it. So my position was taken and given to an extremely less qualifies guy who had no where near my experience and excellent track record. Anyhow, just this week, my boss calls me in her office again and says that now she has to take my money back. This is really a bad situation and I am seeking advice. Is this legal?
    Last edited by RU4REAL; 08-09-2007, 04:01 AM. Reason: put name of company

Duplicate Post

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthre...211#post907211
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

As unfair as this sounds, I don't see anything illegal in it. Unfortunately, having a client threaten the loss of a contract (and a government contract at that) unless a certain individual is demoted or fired, is not illegal on its face, at least for the company being "threatened".

Relative to your pay, while it was more than likely the "right" thing to do (under the circumstances) to not lower your pay rate, apparently your boss was overruled. Short of an employment contract prohibiting such demotion/pay reduction actions, there's really no legal recourse for you. If you look at it from the business aspect, if you're not supervising a crew, you don't get supervisor's wages.

Tough break, I'm sorry.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mlane58 View Post
        NOW ya tell me.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I was demoted, and for no reason. She said that she really likes me, but if she keeps me in my position that she will loose her contract. A government employee threatened her. Just because I want to be about my job and go home, and not take all my lunchbreaks with him and talk about golf all day, he turned on me and this was a result of that.

Comment

Did they retroactively lower your pay or is this going forward? If you were already paid and they want their money back, there is a problem. http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wa...hangeofpay.htm
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by RU4REAL View Post
              I was demoted, and for no reason. She said that she really likes me, but if she keeps me in my position that she will loose her contract. A government employee threatened her. Just because I want to be about my job and go home, and not take all my lunchbreaks with him and talk about golf all day, he turned on me and this was a result of that.
              That however, is not illegal. It means you have rotten taste in friends, but it isn't actionable unless you had a contract for the position you were in.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

No, this is going forward. Yes it is a terrible situation. Well thanks you guys for your replies.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X