Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Florida Independent Contractor Question

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Florida Independent Contractor Question

    My girlfriend is a manager for a home owners association in Florida and we are having a debate regarding liability coverage. She is currently being paid as an outside 1099 contractor for her duties, bookkeeping etc. and occasionally light repairs and maintenance of the grounds. From time to time I help her with jobs that she either can’t do or mostly just to lend a hand. Would she (or I) be covered by the HOA’s liability coverage for work done as the manager of the property even though she is being compensated as an outside contractor? It seems like there is a bit of a grey area here. Please help, this is leading to hours of debates, or let me know of some places to look. Thank you.

  • #2
    And I'm not comfortable at all that she is even properly classified as an IC. Here's the IRS' definition. As you can see, the primary and overriding factor is the right to control when and how the work is done, even if the employer chooses not to exercise that right.,00.html
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Here is the federal Labor Dept rules on the same issue,

      "A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.