This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being sued by my employer please help!!!!! Michigan

i work for a ford automobile dealership in thier service department as a hourly lube tech for $9 an hour, they are sueing me for damages done to a a 2001 roush mustang while being fixed at the shop, they claim me full responsbilty for the cost of the damages to custumers car witch is almost 2000 dollars,they said i left the hood popped and another tech drove it down the expressway entrance ramp and the secondary latch failed and the hood flew up and smashed the windshield, they say there colision deductable is 5000 dollars, and they are only sueing me not the tech driver the car and also should there be a police report for the damages since it was on a public road?
    and they have there own in house lawyers and are employed my the owner of the dealership, and only they only work for him.

any help would be very helpful to me thanks

Yes I Got Them Today

Comment

not really sure

Comment

im mostly asking if they can do it or not?

Comment

and i forgot to state that his lawyers or on his payroll sop can they still ask for lawyer fees if they win?

Comment

on the court paper under summoms and complaint is 1853.47 the cost of the repairs
            and on the typed papers
            plantiffs complaint against the defendant it says
            "plantiff request that a judgement be entered in favor of the plaintiff and against the defendant in the amount of 1853.47, together with plaintiffs cost, expenses and attorneys fee and any other relief deemed appropriate by this honorable court"

Comment

Of course they can ask. They did. You are being sued. You need an attorney pronto. This is not a DIY effort, nor can a public bulletin board serve as your legal advisor in lieu of an attorney.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If you are responsible for the accident with the Roush, I can imagine the owners are non too thrilled with you and yes, they can sue.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The only help we can give you is to tell you to get an attorney.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

ok thanks ans heres another question lets say i pay it, can they fire me even if i pay it

Comment

so if they did they can get introuble with wrongful dischargement?

Comment

ok sorry

Comment

Originally posted by joec
                          Have you talked to an attorney this is getting redundant ? I doubt you could get a wrongful discharge case against them if they terminated you. This is why you need an attorney he could draft a settlement proposal,insuring job protection,he could move it out of the court house,and into mediation. Basically he can do all kinds of things that can not be done on the Internet. Just like Patty already told you. You need an attorney,you are being sued. I can not make it simpler than that.
                          JoeC
                          I am curious... seriously, I am not being snarky here.

Why would it be wrongful discharge to term an employee that performed substandard work that damaged a customer's property?

Even if he pays for it, the incident still happened and, I would think, would still be actionable.
                          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The answer is, it would not be a wrongful discharge.
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by trogdor48430 View Post
                              they said i left the hood popped and another tech drove it down the expressway entrance ramp and the secondary latch
                              I fully agree that you need an attorney Trogdor. When you see that attorney make sure he understands that it was another tech that was driving the vehicle when the hood popped up and not you. I would think that he/she would be equally if not more liable for the damages as he was the one driving it. If this is taken into consideration and the cost is split at least you won't be paying for your own mistake as well as that of another employee.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X