This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

work week continued

i asked the bookkepper if the short workweek would carry over to the next paycheck and if i would recieve the rest of the hours and overtime for that week in the following paycheck and she said no, because on that saturday i go back to zero. won't i be missing over time from the days that rollover? assuming i work overtime, of course.
    Last edited by luinmelwen; 08-06-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

If you actually work OT then yes. They can not start you over on the next pay period. In other words, it doesn't matter when they pay you, if you work more than 40 hours in the predetermined 168 hour period, you get OT.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The problem with semi-monthly payrolls for non-exempt employees is keeping track of overtime since any pay period will have a partial work week that may include some hours worked and some of those may have been overtime owed in the previous pay period.

For example,

First Pay Period (1-15)

Work Week 1 -- 7 days, 40 hours. No OT
        Work Week 2 -- 7 days, 40 hours. No OT
        Work Week 3 -- 1 day (this pay period), 8 hours, no OT

Second Pay Period (16 - 30)

Work Week 3 (continued from above), 6 days, 40 hours. Done properly, this will be paid as 32 regular and 8 OT, since there were 8 regular hours already paid in the prior pay period.
        Work Week 4, 7 days, 40 hours.
        Work Week 5, 2 days, 16 hours and so the problem continues...
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

so i am getting ripped off? the accountant specifically said that the weeks do not roll over, therefore every three weeks i simply cannot get any overtime. how do i talk about this without getting fired? i have asked them to explain this to me many times, and i get no straight answers. thank god this forum is here.

Comment

Well, are you actually working OT? If not, it is a non-issue. If so, you can bring it to their attention. If they fail to correct it, you can file a claim with the DOL which is free. You can not be fired for reporting this.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

That is odd. I was certain I replied to this, but my reply is not there.

Originally posted by luinmelwen View Post
              so i am getting ripped off? the accountant specifically said that the weeks do not roll over, therefore every three weeks i simply cannot get any overtime.
              I cannot tell if you are getting ripped off or not. Clearly, you get overtime (your first post mentioned you got five hours), so the comment that you simply cannot get any is not correct.

I am still not sure when your workweek begins and ends. One post mentions Thursday through Wednesday, but the comment from the accountant about Saturday leads me to believe it might be Saturday through Friday.

I could not even guess about what is happening without knowing what how many hours you worked on specific days and when you were paid for those hours. Ideally, this detail would include at least two complete pay periods.

Since there is some overtime being paid, I don't doubt that the company is paying it when a full work week that has overtime is paid in full during the pay period. The question remains whether the company is looking back at the short week that comprises the beginning of the current pay period to see if that work week had overtime.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

i have a feeling they are keeping me confused to save a couple bucks. i suppose i will have to wait and see if the missing time shows up on my next paycheck. i cannot check past time clock print outs because they told me they "don't keep records". the work week is thurs through wed., the accountant said; however she also told me that that last week ended on saturday in order to have my paycheck ready by the 1st, and that the week was complete and it would not continue into the next paycheck. i begin again at zero that sunday. if i understand correctly, that can't be right. to them we are just a bunch of dumb college kids whose parents pay for everything anyway, so we'd never notice something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by luinmelwen View Post
                  i have a feeling they are keeping me confused to save a couple bucks. i suppose i will have to wait and see if the missing time shows up on my next paycheck. i cannot check past time clock print outs because they told me they "don't keep records". the work week is thurs through wed., the accountant said; however she also told me that that last week ended on saturday in order to have my paycheck ready by the 1st, and that the week was complete and it would not continue into the next paycheck. i begin again at zero that sunday. if i understand correctly, that can't be right. to them we are just a bunch of dumb college kids whose parents pay for everything anyway, so we'd never notice something like this. *******s.
                  They are supposed to keep records.

I won't post on this thread anymore. You won't answer my questions. Maybe you cannot do so with any accuracy.

You can contact the US Dept of Labor or the state equivalent if you feel you are not being paid correctly.

I really want to comment on other items, but I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
                    Scott I am seeing you at #18 #22 #24 their is one missing ?
                    JoeC
                    I figured it out.

I had posted from the office or THOUGHT I had, but I must have failed to click on the button since the reply was sitting there ready to send when I got to work the next day.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X