This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing overtime? Arizona

i want to know how i can work 110 hours from the 12th through the 28 of july and only get 5 hours of over time. the break in the pay period is screwing me from my overtime.

What break in the pay period? What are you talking about?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

When does the workweek start? Not your schedule, but the workweek as defined by the employer?

What do you do and what type of company do you do it for?

There's not nearly enough information for us to tell.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Could you please also give us a breakdown of all the days you worked between the 12th & 28th & how many hrs. you worked each day. Thanks.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          Could you please also give us a breakdown of all the days you worked between the 12th & 28th & how many hrs. you worked each day. Thanks.
          And the questions I asked need answers as well.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree - that's why I said also.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I just wanted to make sure the OP knew what we needed, Betty. Apparently, this is not such an urgent matter as the OP led us to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                I just wanted to make sure the OP knew what we needed, Betty.
                Ok - I understand. (never hurts to remind them) You're right that this doesn't seem to be that pressing of a matter.

Comment

answer to your questions

sorry. computer broke. had to find time for the library.

the workweek as i am to understand in thur through wed. my first week i had thursday off and worked 41.38 hours that week.

the next week had no days off and i got 44.33 hours. the next week had no days off but ended on saturday. that time i made 23.90 hours. total hours that paycheck - 109.61, 5.71 of which were overtime.

after reading up a bit. i cannot be certain if every paycheck always does start on a thurs, because shouldn't the next one start on a sunday?

Comment

No, pay periods do not have to start on Sundays. If your employer starts the week on Thursday for payroll purposes, they may do so. The workweek may be any 168 period of time they designate. They may not change this from week to week, but when they start it and end it is up to them.

If in the first 168 block of time you worked 44.33 hours, then you only get paid OT for 4.33 of them. If in the immediately following 168 hours you worked 41.38, you get OT for 1.38 of them.

OT is calculated by week, not pay period.
                    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                      No, pay periods do not have to start on Sundays. If your employer starts the week on Thursday for payroll purposes, they may do so. The workweek may be any 168 period of time they designate. They may not change this from week to week, but when they start it and end it is up to them.

If in the first 168 block of time you worked 44.33 hours, then you only get paid OT for 4.33 of them. If in the immediately following 168 hours you worked 41.38, you get OT for 1.38 of them.

OT is calculated by week, not pay period.
                      What I'm confused about is how can he be paid for 17 days and the first two work weeks are the same thur-wed, but then the third work week goes from thurs-sat?

How can they be properly paying OT when they're splitting up the work week on some checks?

luinmelwin, what days worked will be on your next paycheck?

Is there something I'm missing here??

Comment

If they pay semi-monthly (or monthly) it is entirely possible that the pay period will end in the middle of a workweek. I hate paying that way for non-exempts for just this reason. If the employee worked 24 hours Thursday-Sat, and 17 Sun-Wed, the employee would still get an hour of OT, but not until the next paycheck. Pay periods need not coincide with workweeks, though it is much easier when they do.
                        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The work week and pay period are not necessarily the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                            If they pay semi-monthly (or monthly) it is entirely possible that the pay period will end in the middle of a workweek. I hate paying that way for non-exempts for just this reason. If the employee worked 24 hours Thursday-Sat, and 17 Sun-Wed, the employee would still get an hour of OT, but not until the next paycheck. Pay periods need not coincide with workweeks, though it is much easier when they do.
                            Wow, what a headache.

Comment

Add in concurrent jobs and fluctuating workweeks and you have the joy that is payroll where I work. And, the reason I don't do payroll.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X