This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can I do? New York

I work in a chemical plant in upstate NY. I have been there almost a year. I got moved to an area in the building where I ended up working with a young man who chews tobacco and spits it on the floor and on the machines. The rest of us get this on our hands and clothes. I said something about it to a superior who then said something to this man, about stopping this behavior.

Since then he has spit at me(didn't hit me with it but came close) and he has left me a jar in which he collected his spit, with a message on the jar saying for me to "be gone". This happened the same day he was talked to so it seems to be excalating at a fast rate into a hostile environment. I am to the point where I am afraid to go to work. Is this something I should have to tolerate?

Have you told his superior that his behavior has not stopped or talked to the HR Dept?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It won't be a hostile work environment as defined under the law, but the turkey should be taken outside, given a bath in his own tobacco-saliva juices and then required to leave the premises forever.

Apparently, he was warned and his behavior has become worse.

Report him again and do mention that he is retaliating against you for the first report.

I wouldn't keep him around, but the company might. So long as the bad behavior stops, it will be okay. I just don't see that happening.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

It doesn't violate any employment laws. I'd report it to your manager including the recent incident and give your employer a chance to handle it. If he makes a threat of violence against you, you can always file a police report, but just being disgusting isn't enough to get him arrested.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

All of this has been reported to superiors. They had set up a meeting with me and this man. He jumped the gun and wouldn't wait for the meeting and confronted me alone and proceeded to tell me if it bothered me I should be wearing gloves in the break room because he spits on his hands before he opens the refrigerator and puts the cups in the cup holder beside the water. I think he is jsut being childish but I don't think he will stop until I am gone. I have been on my time off since this has happened and go into work on third shift tonight.

Comment

LBK, in the interest of your safety and sanity, if this juvinile punk attempts to corner you again walk away. Go immediately to a superior and report his ridiculous and immature behavior. I agree it is not yet a hostile work enviornment. I would consider disclosing his allegation that he delibertly put bodily fluids on drinking cups knowing others would be using them to drink from. And that he did the same when opeining the refridgerator. This could impact other peoples health and is dispicable. Most likely he didn't do it just running his mouth. However not worth the risk just in case he did, IMHO. Sounds like he would be better suited to work at McDonalds with the other youngens, than a plant enviornment. Never mind even the kids at McDonalds is more mature than this punk jerk. I also agree that if he makes even the slightes remark that is threatening call the police and let him know just how serious you are about not being intimidates by him.
            Last edited by BnThrDnTht; 07-17-2007, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Note to self: Don't go to that fast-food place BTDT referenced in New York.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                Note to self: Don't go to that fast-food place BTDT referenced in New York.
                Oops sorry I should have know better. Thanks Patty, my bad & I fixed it. BTW if we really knew what went into the food at many of these places we would just go grab a handful of barley from the produce section for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by BnThrDnTht View Post
                  Oops sorry I should have know better. Thanks Patty, my bad & I fixed it. BTW if we really knew what went into the food at many of these places we would just go grab a handful of barley from the produce section for lunch
                  Sheesh, that's just what we don't need; someone who chews tobacco and spits working in food service.

And yeah, kind of like "sausage is good". You don't want to watch it being made.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

LOL Pattymd!!

I want to thank you alll for the replies, I am getting ready for work now. Have my fingers crossed it goes smooth. I think if he has been verbally spanked he will probably be ballistic at me by now.

not to worry, its nothing to do with food but we do manufacture things for use in the medical industry...........

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X