X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• health insurance benefits California

I have a question..

It actually stems from my last job.

When I resigned from my last job, I gave the last date two weeks later...a week into that two weeks, my boss said I did not have to finsih out the two weeks...I got paid up until that date, however, since they paid me up until the date of two weeks from my resignation date...shoudln't they be liable for keeping my health insurance for that two week period of time?

Thank you.

I believe that Texas is the only state which has a law requiring the employer continue health insurance through the end of the month of termination.

Are you saying that they terminated your health insurance prior to your last day worked? The policy normally contains the date on which coverage ceases in relation to your termination date. Do you have a copy of the SPD (Summary Plan Description)?

Do you have medical expenses in that interim period?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Not at all.

The last day of your health insurance is determined by the terms of the insurance policy, not by the last day you were paid for.

It is generally either the last day you were actually employed (which is NOT the last day of a paid, but unworked notice period unless specifically so designated) or the last day of the month in which employment ended. But whatever the insurance policy says, rules.

They would only owe you health insurance benefits for the paid, but unworked notice period, if the insurance policy specifices that benefits will continue until the last day PAID.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

insurance benefits california

Yes. I had expenses.

Comment

health insurance california

Sorry.

Yes the insurence was terminated before I left, and yes I did have expenses, but I'm not sure what the policy states.

I was paid for the full term of the notice, but was asked - allowed to leave- before my final date of employment.

Comment

Your last day of employment is the last day you actually worked, not the last day of your notice period.

What was the last day you WORKED, and what was the day of the insurance cancellation?
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

health insurance california

Thanks. I think that you actually answered my question.

Comment

I think I did too, more than once.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X