This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostel work environment Washington

In my department there are 2 sides to work in, Fermentation and purification. I am the sole support for fermentation while purification has 2 support people even though the work load is almost doulbe in fermentation. We have had 2 previous employees quit because of the manager (support manager) and the current new guy sits up at his desk for most of the day. When myself or the senior purification guy (my cousin by the way) are up at our desk for more than 30 minutes he makes comments like "why are you up here for so llong" or "isn't there work to do downstairs" while the other guy has had NOTHING said to him. I've been w/ this company for 5 years and ever since this guy became my supe (about 3.5 years ago) we get into arguments at least every 6 months. The fights are him accusing us of doing somthing wrong when we didn't do it, doing what everyone else in the ENTIRE department does (have a cup of coffee and check emails before I go on the floor and work), being 15 minutes late do to a major wreck on the commute in. I have had several employees of this company say that he talks badly about us behind our back and has put us down and made fun of us infront of many other employees in our presence. My cousin and myself have gone to our manager about this 3 times and the director of the area 2 times, everytime getting told things would change but like clock work every 6 months or so a big argument happens as it did today. We accually had a previous employee go to HR twice and was eventually transffered to a different department.

Is there any kind of case for me? When he yells at me and makes acuzations do I have the right to yell back?

Any help is apreciated.

There is no legal recourse I can see, because no laws have been violated. The boss appears to be an, as we call it, "equal opportunity jerk". An uncomfortable working environment does not meet the legal definition of harrassment for which you would have a legal case.

Sometimes, all you can do is look for other employment where you are treated with more respect.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning under the law and this does not meet it. It does not mean an unpleasant working environment; it means that you are being subject to ILLEGAL discrimination or harassment (sexual harassment, racial, gender or age discrimination etc.). The boss being a jerk is not illegal.

When he yells at you and makes accusations, if you yell back you are likely to get fired. The boss gets to act like a jerk. When you're the boss you can act like a jerk too. However, you do not have a guaranteed right under the law to yell back until that point.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I thought labor laws were in place to prevent bosses from being able to do these things. When I am CONSTANTLY in a state of stress just from seeing him then I should be able to do more than just "get another job". Theres no way I can make the kind of money I do here anywere else but at the same time I do not let ANYONE disrespect me so I guess I'll have to hope that I don't get fired.

I now know why people loose it and end up bringing guns to work to shoot there boss's (not that I'm in that state of mind, but I can see how people can get there) when the law CLEARLY is mostly for a company rather than the employees.

I loose respect for this country almost daily anymore.

Let the rich get richer and keep kicking the guys that do all the work.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzle View Post
          I thought labor laws were in place to prevent bosses from being able to do these things.
          And exactly how is the government supposed to make people nice?
          “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

By having laws in place to be able to easily fire (deleted) bosses. If someone is mean to you once that's one thing but if your constantly being treated badly there should be somthing more in place to be able to sue a company because they CHOSE to keep someone in a position that many people have complained about. Having a boss thats consistantly mean should fall under "hostle work environment" regardless of anything else.

And by the way WHAT THE HELL DOES THE GOVERNMENT DO FOR ME NOW OTHER THAN TAKE A (deleted) OF MY MONEY. I guess I can't expect the government to help out the employees that run this country.

Like I said before it's all about the rich getting richer regardless of how it happens or who gets stepped on along the way.

Comment

Is it against the law for a manager to say bad things about you infront of or around other people? Espacially if what he is saying isn't true. Does that fall under slander?

Comment

If you don't like the laws in this country, we do live in a democracy and you are free to petition your legislative representative to change them. I wouldn't expect a law to pass anytime soon that requires an employer (or anyone else) to be nice to you. Who would set the standard for what was "nice"? Would having a bad day be illegal?

You do have the right to seek other employment anytime if you are unhappy with your job and that is a substantial right. I've been in your shoes and there just comes a point where it is time to move on. If you are opting for the better salary over liking your supervisor, then that is your choice. It never hurts to look for other work. You might be pleasantly surprised. I was.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Not in the circumstances you are describing, no, that would not qualify as slander.

You can't legislate niceness. It's too subjective a quality.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzle View Post
                    Is it against the law for a manager to say bad things about you infront of or around other people? Espacially if what he is saying isn't true. Does that fall under slander?
                    No. Unless you can prove the supervisor knows they aren't true and you have suffered some sort of damages as a result, it isn't slander.
                    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Look I apreciate everyones comments but you must be misunderstanding me. I don't care about having a nice boss. It would be a nice change but that's not what I'm trying to say. My problem is that my job not only gets done but I'm regularly taking on new tasks, I like working hard, but when the guy thats SUPOSE to be who I go to for Guidence and information is always saying that your a drunk ( I haven't drank in over 3 years), you need to work harder (I've recieved 3 awards from my company for the work I've done here) and vacation days are always such a big deal ( I always ask for days off over a month early) it's hard to think that he can leagally be this way. If I wasn't a hard worker or late all the time or had a bad additude I could see it.

The fact of the matter is I get along great w/ everyone in my department and the supporting departments so there's NO WAY I WILL LET HIM GET ME TO QUIT. Everything about my job is great...............Except my boss.
                      I was just hoping there was some kind of law that I could use to get him fired. I would rather have him fired than sue the company.

Comment

Sorry but there are absolutely no laws that mandate when an employer must fire an employee. Even if he were violating the law, which he is not, you could not make your employer fire him.

Comment

Dizzle, Many years ago I worked for a non profit organization and was in a very similar situation as you. I hesitate to suggest this (I expect some of the senior members will call me out on it which is or course their prerogative) but there were a number of employees, myself included, that had finally had enough of our director. She was an out and out right bully toward all employees. She would issue very specific directives and we would follow them to the letter. 95% of the time she would be dissatisfied with the results. Not only would she belittle and berate us but make us redo a project only to have her express dissatisfaction again. Basically nothing anyone did seemed to please this woman. The turn over rate for middle management at this organization was rediculously high, more than 85% per year. One would think that after 2-3 years of this that the Administrator would have caught on as to why. Neither here nor there I suppose.

We basically pulled together, with the help of one heck of a good lawyer, a sort of class action against her specifically. We did not involve the organization we worked for. It was based on Intentional inflection of emotional distress. This was only after many many meetings with her and all but one of the employees at the middle management level. With every possible attempt to work things out so everyone could work in harmony and be successful within the organization and for the people we were serving. The action was never heard in a court of law as the Administrator finally seen a side of this woman that she had not seen up to that point. The director was terminated for her irrational behaviors towards the team. I don't know if this is something that you and your group are willing to try to pull together but one equal oportunity jerk can make for many many miserable employees. Regardless of what you do I wish you the best in your attempts to create a harmonious work enviornment.
                          Last edited by BnThrDnTht; 05-30-2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

To me that is like carving your name in a pencil with a chain saw. It also assumes you can find a lawyer willing to file such a suit and that you are willing to pay for their services. There is also no guarantee the supervisor will be fired as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                              To me that is like carving your name in a pencil with a chain saw. It also assumes you can find a lawyer willing to file such a suit and that you are willing to pay for their services. There is also no guarantee the supervisor will be fired as a result.

Your opinion, to which you are certainly entitled.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X