This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being told by employer can't use my license on the side

I have a Sewer and Water operators license in PA. I pay for it and do the continuing ed. credits. I us it on the side for some small buisness that need a operator. My employer is telling me I can't us it anymore on the side. Can they do this? Do I have the right to fight this without loosing my fulltime job?

Yes they may do this as no law prohibits it.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Many businesses also have a no moonlighting clause in their handbook/contract/whatever, and they can fire you for doing so.

Comment

Since I've been there 18 years and was not hired under that rule. Which is supposed to go into effect in June. I have no ground to stand on. However if they the employer wants to pick up some extra work that needs a license that is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by claw1 View Post
          However if they the employer wants to pick up some extra work that needs a license that is ok?
          I don't understand the question.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Pattymd ,I work for a Sewer and Water authority. They are thinking about checking another plant for another municipality. TO do this they need 2 operator licenses mine and the only other guy here with one. Since it is mine and I can't use it outside why is it okay for them to want to use it and profit from it and me not get anything for it.

Comment

If I understand the question correctly...

Because you work for them, they can require you to work wherever they want you to work. If they want you to check another plant in another municipality, they can do that because they are your employer.

Comment

They are the employer & you have to follow their rules whether they seem fair to you or not.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

JulieBean- You & I were typing our answers apparently at the same time - you got yours submitted off before me.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Any chance you are a member of a union and/or a civil service employee?

And, to be clear, the employer has no statutory right to prohibit you from using your license elsewhere. However, as others have stated, depending on your responses to the above-questions there would likely be nothing illegal about terminating for failing to follow their rule. I suppose a public policy argument could be made, but I would not like your chances if your case rested solely on such an argument. So, you would have to conduct a risk-reward analysis
                    Last edited by rjc; 05-02-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                      JulieBean- You & I were typing our answers apparently at the same time - you got yours submitted off before me.
                      According to the forum rules, that means you owe me a soda.

Comment

Originally posted by JulieBean View Post
                        According to the forum rules, that means you owe me a soda.
                        That's a universal law that everybody (at least down here) learns in 1st grade.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                        (unique up on him)
                        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                        (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
                          That's a universal law that everybody (at least down here) learns in 1st grade.
                          MN must not be keeping with the times!

Or I've just been living in a cave for the past 20 years...

Comment

Okay, ladies, how about you exchange your soda's offline, okay?

At least until we finish resolving the poster's problem.
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Does your employer have a policy that prohibits moonlighting? Or require prior approval in order to moonlight?
                              I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X