This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Parking Regulation Michigan

I have been working at the same company for five years and we are starting to outgrow our building and parking lot. Effective immediately, he is requiring SEVERAL of us to park on a public sidestreet, across the street, and down a block or two. Is this legal that SOME employees are no longer allowed to park in the employee parking lot?

Well, there is no law that says it is ILLEGAL.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Aed, who cares? Some places you have to park blocks away just to get to work. Unless you have a verifiable disability/impairment, I don't see the harm. And if you do have an ADA-qualifiable disability/impairment, notify the HR manager.

FWIW, every time I worked for a business and they had any "search and seizure" rules for employees vehicles, I would do just that- park on public street or car pool. No biggie. If they don't like it, too bad, no law saying I have to let them search or that they can determine where I park or if I can or cannot car pool.
      I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
      Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
      I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
      Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

No state has a law that even requires an employer to provide parking, let alone one that gives you a guaranteed right to park in the lot.

Unless who is told to park in the street is being determined by race, national origin, religion etc., it is perfectly legal.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X