Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Where's my bonus Maryland

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where's my bonus Maryland

    In January, my former employer held the annual employee of year ceremony, where she awarded me the 2006 Road Runner of the Year award and a bonus of $2000. She gave a whole speech about all the travelling and account management that I did the previous year and then presented me with a certificate that said Road Runner of the year and said that I will receive $2000. I resigned a month later to accept a better opportunity, but I left on good terms. Before I left, I asked several times when I should expect the bonus and no one had a definitive answer. Now it is April and when I checked with the HR department she explained to me that the owner of the company decided not to give it to me, but she did not know why. My question is, am I legally entitled to that bonus, because she promised it to me in front of the entire company?

  • #2
    I expect she doesn't want to pay you the bonus because you resigned and now she has no incentive to do so. Only a judge can decide whether the statements the owner made legally entitled you to the bonus. You can always file suit in small claims court and see what happens.


    • #3
      I think she just doesn't have it. There were others who received bonuses as well and the recently received the money. I also have an email that was sent to me 2 weeks ago from HR stating that the check was being processed, but 3 days later the HR person called me to say that the owner of the company had changed her mind.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.