Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But a hospital policy is not a law, and what the OP wants is a law that gives him the right to go home in the event of a disaster, or even a power outage.

My point is that trying to create such a law would be fraught with difficulties.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I think you misunderstood my question, I was reprimanded for the way I left the store, I wasn't saying I wanted a law. I was just uninformed as to what to do in the situation, so when no management was reachable I did what I normally would have done had the power outage not occurred, and some things were left undone because of the lack of power like closing till balances were unavailable. So I left the cash in the drawers for the safety of not looking thievish, which was a problem to them. I don't want a law that protects my right to leave. I want a law that protects my right to complain with merit about my name being slanderously placed about with questionably negative actions attached to it. Because most of the time I have never been asked about the situation with no chance to defend my position, and knowing that most employees will just assume that its a proven fact that X thing happened and it was obviously me being wrong or a bad employee which is not the case. That's what I wish I had a law that protected me on. Not to leave in a tornado, that I understand should be a policy and not a law.

Comment

I don't think you understand what is meant by slander.

What has been said about you that is untrue? Not someone's negative opinion, not something true but unpleasant.

What has been stated about you that is out and out FALSE?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

to cgb, yes they are using untrue statements. The situation came to a minor climax tonight when the manager that had posted the not accusing my lottery count of being incorrect was there. I asked her about the reasoning, she explained "The shift's lottery was off by 9 dollars over on Online (powerball, pick 3, Lotto 5, and all that other jazz) and 2 dollars under on Scratch off. So i took 3.50 over from each person." now chances are that only one of the people on the shift had made the mistake, she couldn't explain to me what was wrong or how it had happened but, the public notice said nothing about this, or had any explination as to what she was saying we were over for. So truthfully, she posted an untrue statement about atleast 1 employee not to mention what happens if it was just a lottery machine error or a paperwork error.

I understand that at some jobs Yelling and screaming is expected and that fear of management coming down on you harshly is a reason to have it. I am not a person motivated by fear. I am the opposite. If you tell me once what I have done wrong I will tell you "It won't happen again!" and it wont. For someone like me its hard to swallow the yelling and screaming without having the beginers blues. Everyone has to be allowed the benifit of the doubt once. Especially in a new buisness. When the manager knows less than employees there will be times when we honestly don't know how to satisfy the stores want's and requirements. I guess I just get a bad taste for the store when they start trying to make examples out of the good employees.

Comment

Snote, I reccomend that you ask for a new job that you actually love, or at least do not regret going to. I wish you the best of luck, unfortunately the boss has done nothing illegal. I guess what I am saying is keep your head up, and you will find a place where your employer treats all with respect. I have been fortunate enough to do so, and I have been there 10 years, and have no plans to leave unless it is for a great paying job (or should I say for alot more money lol). It is out there somewhere!

Comment

Bring incorrect isn't the same as slander. For it to be slander the person must know the information is wrong. If your drawer or the lottery count was off, it was poor form to announce it to all who happened by, but it wasn't illegal just because there is an off chance it might have been due to someone else's error. Now if there were no discrepencies at all and she posted a note indicating that you stole money from the drawer to get back at you for some reason, then it comes closer to slander. To bring a claim you would have to show damages beyond possible embarassment, but the largest part of having a claim is that the information must be known to be false.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

There are no such things as ambulance drivers

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                What about police and firemen who might have to deal with emergencies? Ambulance drivers? Other critical care personnel?
                There are no such things as ambulance drivers. Everything concerning an ambulance, right down to the tread pattern on tires is regulated by law. The section concerning staffing does not mention, even one time, a certification level of "Ambulance driver". We are, First Responders, Emergency Medical Technicians, Paramedics, Critical Care Paramedics, and Prehospital Registered Nurses. Calling any one of these health care professionals an ambulance driver is like calling an HR professional a Hatchet man. Yes, driving is an essential function of the job, but it is not the job. Firing people is an essential function of an HR professional's job but it isn't their entire job. Sorry, I just get worked up over that.

Comment

I was trying to make a point with some generalities. Sorry if I offended you.

Comment

Oh now, you know I couldn't stay mad at you cbg

Comment

Glad we're still friends.

Comment

Just to update the situation to all those who might have found my rantings interesting. I quit the job in a blaze of glory. Telling the management every aspect of their wrong doings. In front of 3 other employees. I am not one to disrespect people but I would rather the employees that are still there have a chance to work in a better environment. I appreciate all your advice and information. I basically told the manager that a happy employee is more trust worthy and more productive. If she wanted to spend her time making everyone mad at her then she could be assured that it would only make her job harder. That she needed to learn how to answer the employees questions with a little grace instead of making the employee feel dumb for not knowing things she doesn't know herself. Then for the grand finale I told her that she might want to be by her phone the next time the store's power has the potential of going out. That the best excuse is to honestly not know how to do something. If she makes sure they know then they don't have an excuse. Plus they will probably do it correctly that way...

Anyways It was liberating and gave me a little more self respect. Knowing that I stood up for the right side. Instead of bending over and touching my toes while I was verbally raped by a moron.

I got a job at a factory with benefits and better pay. The management is alot more respectful and professional. I know you can't expect to be treated like you're important at a 6/hr job. So I realized I wouldn't change the world, and decided that if I wasn't happy then I needed to change my surroundings.

Comment

Congratulations. Glad it worked out for you.

Hope you never need a reference from the job you quit.

Comment

I think you did the right thing man. 6$ an hour? Well depends where you live that might pay the rent. But anything under $17-$20 in the Bay Area would be difficult to pay the rent, but then again it depends on what region you live in the Bay Area.

You know once I worked at a job up in Redding, CA and I worked with a very abusive client. This client would punch me, hit me, cuss at me, yell at me, and even throw chairs at me on my shifts. Since staff and probably management did not seem to like me in this job (probably in response to my workers comp back injury) they did almost nothing to help me when the client attacked me. Once they sat and watched as the client was pounding me on the wall, and throwing chairs at me, all of which I dodged. Normally I would have socked and took that guy to the floor, but because of laws, I was afraid to get arrested for hitting a mentally retarded man. However if he had grabbed a knife and attacked me, then the client would have went right to the floor.

Well to make a long story short, I was TIRED of the treatment, TIRED of my inability to get my breaks, and so I just quit. I did not give a 2 week notice, I just quit. I've never had to use them for a reference and probably will never need too.

Dude you did the right thing. You dont need to be abused, but you can find another job.

Good luck

John

Originally posted by Snote View Post
                            Just to update the situation to all those who might have found my rantings interesting. I quit the job in a blaze of glory. Telling the management every aspect of their wrong doings. In front of 3 other employees. I am not one to disrespect people but I would rather the employees that are still there have a chance to work in a better environment. I appreciate all your advice and information. I basically told the manager that a happy employee is more trust worthy and more productive. If she wanted to spend her time making everyone mad at her then she could be assured that it would only make her job harder. That she needed to learn how to answer the employees questions with a little grace instead of making the employee feel dumb for not knowing things she doesn't know herself. Then for the grand finale I told her that she might want to be by her phone the next time the store's power has the potential of going out. That the best excuse is to honestly not know how to do something. If she makes sure they know then they don't have an excuse. Plus they will probably do it correctly that way...

Anyways It was liberating and gave me a little more self respect. Knowing that I stood up for the right side. Instead of bending over and touching my toes while I was verbally raped by a moron.

I got a job at a factory with benefits and better pay. The management is alot more respectful and professional. I know you can't expect to be treated like you're important at a 6/hr job. So I realized I wouldn't change the world, and decided that if I wasn't happy then I needed to change my surroundings.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X