This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slander and what to do about it in TN? Tennessee

Ok, first part of this question is to ask if an employer/manager has the right to post repremandations infront of the time clock when they name names.

for example "Corey's lottery count was off last night." attatched to a right up sheet. For God and all to see.

the second part is to ask where I could find laws about the rights I have as an employee as far as defending myself and what not. I am a clerk at a gas station, and during a tornado, our power went out. We were left without any disaster training and in the dark figuratively and literaly. What kinda of liabity did I have for locking the doors and leaving to go check on my loved ones?

I know its a off the wall question. Keep in mind that I am a key holding clerk, an entry level employee with a security alarm code and a key.

The public posting of a disciplinary action is a very bad idea, but is entirely legal.

The only liability that you had as an employee in leaving when your employer didn't authorize is progressive discipline, up to and including termination.

Comment

Bad News... I was hoping to replace my write up sheet with a copy of the law that says she's in more trouble than I am, but I guess that kind of smartassery is why I got wrote up in the first place.

But we left the store after our shift was over, thirty minutes over trying to get in touch with Owner or Manager with no luck, would that change the situation?

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

If your shift was over, then why was it an issue that you left? I don't understand that one.

Putting that note up for all to see was certainly in poor taste. Unfortunately, bad taste is not a crime...

Comment

Originally posted by Snote View Post
          But we left the store after our shift was over, thirty minutes over trying to get in touch with Owner or Manager with no luck, would that change the situation?
          Not unless you have a bona fide contract stating otherwise.

Comment

We are having the new store blues, the manager admittedly knows less about the goings on of the computer software and other things than the clerks. So she is constantly getting flack from the owners which leaves us as her outlet for passing the buck along. When I couldn't get hold of the manager I called the Owner, and then they jumper her for being unavailable. To make a long story short we as the employees had to make decisions, and we don't get paid enough to make good ones.

It seemed as though you were asking for an explanation if you're nice enough to answer my questions, I'll be nice enough to tell you why I have them.
            Last edited by Snote; 04-23-2007, 11:36 PM. Reason: Edited for gramatical error

Comment

We are having the new store blues, the manager admittedly knows less about the goings on of the computer software and other things than the clerks. So she is constantly getting flack from the owners which leaves us as her outlet for passing the buck along. When I couldn't get hold of the manager I called the Owner, and then they jumper her for being unavailable. To make a long story short we as the employees had to make decisions, and we don't get paid enough to make good ones.

It seemed as though you were asking for an explanation if you're nice enough to answer my questions, I'll be nice enough to tell you why I have them.

It is a valid question, he can not answer the question accurately, if he does not know all the facts...breath Snote, he was being nice lol!

Comment

There are no laws that say what you, as employees, are and are not entitled to do in the event of a power outage or disaster. That is entirely up to your employer.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                  There are no laws that say what you, as employees, are and are not entitled to do in the event of a power outage or disaster. That is entirely up to your employer.
                  You are right, if it were a tornado, and the place was about to give in, then it would be a safety issue, but it was a personal issue. I have a family of my own, and I would want to run as fast as my little legs could carry me, but I would get permission from the first person of authority that I was able to contact. Did you ask permission to leave from the owners? If they said it was ok, it would not matter what the manager thought, unless the owners would deny it to make the manager happy.

Comment

I know you don't make the rules, and I know there is little to nothing I can do about it, but stuff like this makes me want to "Fight the Man". It seems like most labor laws are benifical to the Buisness as opposed to the Employee. If I think something is in poor taste. I have to instead of breaking stride and telling them my opinion I am pushed to the dunces corner and told to be quiet. I know its the laws, not the messengers of laws, I just don't want you all to think its dirrected towards the posters here. It just hurts when you aren't even allowed a weapon in a gun fight.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowray View Post
                      You are right, if it were a tornado, and the place was about to give in, then it would be a safety issue, but it was a personal issue. I have a family of my own, and I would want to run as fast as my little legs could carry me, but I would get permission from the first person of authority that I was able to contact. Did you ask permission to leave from the owners? If they said it was ok, it would not matter what the manager thought, unless the owners would deny it to make the manager happy.
                      It wasn't a permission system it was my job to lock up the store that night at 11, and we left sometime after 11:30 once the storm calmed down. After trying to get intouch with everyone about us in rank. Then after an hour of trying we gave up and realized that the store was as good as it was gonna be with our knowledge of company policy. So we left locked the doors and went to see our loved ones.

Comment

It wasn't a permission system it was my job to lock up the store that night at 11, and we left sometime after 11:30 once the storm calmed down. After trying to get intouch with everyone about us in rank. Then after an hour of trying we gave up and realized that the store was as good as it was gonna be with our knowledge of company policy. So we left locked the doors and went to see our loved ones.
                        Then it sounds like me that you did nothing wrong, what is the boss telling you that you did wrong?

Comment

Duh, I finually get it, you can ask her, can you make a check sheet on what to do before leaving the store when in the midst of a natural disaster, I would imagine there are things I can do, like taping the windows, to make sure they do not blow out so easy. Then you sound like you are trying to help your employer, and with a check list, you are protecting yourself also, if something is missed, for the boss her/his self has made that check list. I am so sorry that lottery was all the person thought of, and maybe if the power went out, it also effected the reading from the lottery machines, so it would show that x amount was paid out, when really x amount was paid out. You could ask her/him, in a meeting, if you could call lottery to see if a power outage, can cause a glitch in the system, because you would not want to be off on your lottery till! This is proffesional, informative, and is hard to take as a personal attack, but it also protects you, if in fact that can happen.

Comment

So, how would you go about legislating this?

How do you plan to provide a blanket law that covers everyone? Do you think that doctors and nurses, who have patients to care for, should be able to just walk off the job to take care of their personal business? What about air traffic controllers? What about police and firemen who might have to deal with emergencies? Ambulance drivers? Other critical care personnel?

How do you write a law that gives some employees, but not others, the right to leave? After how long? Do employees of Microsoft get the same rights as those of a mom-and-pop grocery? What happens if the lights go back on five minutes after you get home? Do you go back to work?

I'm not yelling at you; just trying to make you see how impossible it would be to legislate some issues.
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                              So, how would you go about legislating this?

How do you plan to provide a blanket law that covers everyone? Do you think that doctors and nurses, who have patients to care for, should be able to just walk off the job to take care of their personal business? What about air traffic controllers? What about police and firemen who might have to deal with emergencies? Ambulance drivers? Other critical care personnel?

How do you write a law that gives some employees, but not others, the right to leave? After how long? Do employees of Microsoft get the same rights as those of a mom-and-pop grocery? What happens if the lights go back on five minutes after you get home? Do you go back to work?

I'm not yelling at you; just trying to make you see how impossible it would be to legislate some issues.
                              We have a natural disaster plan in play at the hospital where I work, if you are off that day, you do not call, for it is imparative to keep the lines open, and you stay at the phone and wait for a call from your supervisor if you are needed, and if you are working, you stay, and do whatever your boss says, even if it is not your normal job. We had the chance to practice that with the Thurston High School shooting, and I will tell you, since all was present, to do whatever neccessary, things went smooth, and we were very helpful in every aspect! It was overtime, and I had family at that school, but I would not change my actions, and my decision to stay, for anything in the world. I would hope this employees work, can get a disaster plan on paper, and go over it, so the results are as productive and helpful as possible!!
                              Last edited by turbowray; 04-24-2007, 06:59 AM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X