This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation time taken away due to company error!!! Arizona Arizona

I got to work the other day an in my mailbox I had a memo from HR stating that they were doing a company audit and discovered that they had been giving me to many hours of vacation time on each pay check. I had 120+ hours and now am down to 89 they took 35.10 hours away from me bacause of THEIR mistake!!! Can they do this? I am P***** off!!!

If you didn't earn those hours, why SHOULDN'T they correct their mistake?

Nothing in the law says you have to be allowed to keep vacation time you didn't earn as long as it was the employer's mistake.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Kinda like getting paid for time spent out fishing. If you don't earn it you don't have the right to be pissed that they took it back. Common sense.
      I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
      Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
      I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
      Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

I have every right to be mad. It is time that I had banked on! And you would think that after FOUR YEARS that they would have figured it out! Its like going to a bank and getting into your rainy day fund that you were earning 5% interest on yearly only to find that you have less then you thought you had because they said oooops you were only supposed to be earning 2% so now all the interest you earned over the last four years we are just going to take that out of your account. Not only are they taking money out of my pocket but they are taking time away from my family as well! Yeah right, and Im not supposed to be upset. You tell me that you wouldnt be mad. Whatever.

Comment

LOL! Did you or did you not earn it? Simple!
          If you DID, then yes you do have every right to be mad and act on it by going through the due process.
          If you did NOT earn it, shut up and get over it! YOU have no right to be angry over losing what was never yours to begin with.
          So tell us straight out- did you or did you not earn it? Yes or no?
          I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
          Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
          Don't worry, be happy.

Comment

Jack is a bit less diplomatic in his response than I'd like to see but he is nonetheless right. If you didn't earn the time, you are not losing anything to which you have an entitlement. No law says that as long as it's the employer's mistake, you get to keep something you haven't earned. No one is taking anything out of your pocket - you never should have had it to begin with.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Got my time back today IN FULL!!! Hell yes I earned it. I told the controller of the place, basically what I had told you. ITS YOUR (deleted)NOT MINE!!! For four years I have busted my (deleted) nfor you people and this is how you repay me!? I can't believe that you don't see it my way. I guess you would be cool then if someone just took vacation time away from you.

Comment

CJ, if you earned it, then yes it's yours. I was only poiinting out that either you did or you didn't. If you DID, then fight for it. If you didn't then too bad. Looks tome like it's now resolved. I'm happy for you!

Have fun on your vacation!
                Don't worry, be happy.

Comment

The way you explained it, they had accidently credited you with time you had not earned and were not entitled to. I can't imagine why you would think we would agree that you were entitled to keep it because of their mistake.

If that is not what happened, that's a different story.

Comment

You would have to work here at this place with me to understand why I would get so fired up. One other thing that happened, they took funds out of an employees paycheck to cover for time taken off earlier in the year, like 12 hours of pay. He didn't have the vacation time to cover it so they just took it out of his paycheck one month after the fact! totaly rediculous if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by cjwatson View Post
                      You would have to work here at this place with me to understand why I would get so fired up. One other thing that happened, they took funds out of an employees paycheck to cover for time taken off earlier in the year, like 12 hours of pay. He didn't have the vacation time to cover it so they just took it out of his paycheck one month after the fact! totaly rediculous if you ask me.
                      NO, if you want an accurate assessment done, give us all the facts. You only get from what you give, dude.
                      Don't worry, be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by cactus jack View Post
                        NO, if you want an accurate assessment done, give us all the facts. You only get from what you give, dude.
                        Absolutely. I had not responded here because cbg (and others) had it right, based on the way you explained the situation.
                        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X