This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Commute? Nebraska

I was hired in office 'a'. after a period of 3 months office 'b' opened up. I am now required to work at that office for shorter hours and it is a half hour commute. Due to this I am loosing over 50/week. They provide a car I have to go and pick up each morning at office 'a' to drive to and from office 'b'.
    Does that seem right? Do I have a leg to stand on to demand pay for this hour a day I'm loosing in pay?

Why do you have to pick up the car at "a" and drive it to "b"? If you are required to report to "a" first, then your compensible time starts when you arrive at "a" to pick up the car.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Is there a law stating such?
      It is because the car is a company car and I'm not allowed to take it home at night. But usually when I pick up the car at 'a' I don't even go into the office, I just hang on to the keys overnight to save timme in the morning.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.38.htm
        The fact that you don't turn in the keys is irrelevant; what is relevant is that you are required to return the vehicle to "a".

You're losing 50 what a week? If you're talking dollars because of the shorter hours, it's a tough break but it isn't illegal. Short of a bona fide contract prohibiting your transfer to a different location and/or cutting your hours, the employer is within his rights to do either.
        Last edited by Pattymd; 03-31-2007, 03:17 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Only loosing about 6 hrs a week give or take an hour. But with my OT thats close to 75 a week that I can't afford to loose.
          Thanks for the quit reply and link, I've fwd that on to my asst manager who told me last night they won't pay for my forced commute time. I said give me a company car for perm use and they wont have to (which then I can pay 200 a month to use for personal use). But at this point someone has to drive me to work every day so my car just doesn't sit there for 12 hrs.

Thanks again

Comment

So, someone drives you to "a" to pick up the company vehicle so that you don't have to leave your OWN car in the parking lot? Your choice.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Why can you not just drive your own car to location B?
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X