This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working past end of scheduled shift, MI Michigan

Question concerning being forced to work past the end of your scheduled shift. I work for a major retailor in Michigan, I'm hourly. An associate called off and my boss told me I had to stay to cover their shift. Do I have any legal backing to say no I cannot stay?

Yes it is legal to ask you to stay to cover. No, you do not have the legal right to refuse.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Sorry but no. There is nothing illegal about being asked to remain after the end of your scheduled shift and nothing in the law that gives you the guaranteed right to refuse without penalty.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Happens to us a lot. A guard calls in sick (legitimate), we start calling around to find a replacement. Sometimes we can't find one right away and call the guard on duty to stay until we can find one. That might mean a double shift, but usually we can avoid that.

If the guard on duty simply left at the end of the shift without a replacement, the guard will need to find a new job, along with all the other guards assigned there, since the company will lose the contract.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X