Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

7 min federal law Texas

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 7 min federal law Texas

    I am an hourly employee and it is my understanding that an employer cannot count you as late if you have clocked in less than 7 minutes after your scheduled clock in time. I was told this is a federal labor law, but I cannot locate the information on the Dept of Labor website. Can you verify if this is correct and/or where I can find this information?

  • #2
    You most certainly can be called late! Whoever said there is a law stating otherwise is incorrect. No such critter exists.

    Now if your employer is rounding time to the nearest quarter of an hour, you should be paid for the time, but you were still late and can be disciplined, including being fired.

    OTOH, if your timekeeping system clocks the exact minute in and out, there is no rounding and you don't get paid for those seven minutes.
    Last edited by ScottB; 03-26-2007, 08:22 AM.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


    • #3
      It is not correct. Your employer can count you as tardy if you are seven SECONDS late; they have no legal obligation to provide any grace period at all.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      • #4
        The "grace period" refers to rounding of time for PAY purposes; not for determining whether you're late or not.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.