Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with labor laws...no bathroom breaks, mandatory O/T during lunch.. Florida

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with labor laws...no bathroom breaks, mandatory O/T during lunch.. Florida

I am asking if anyone knows anything about labor laws and what I can do?

I work for a company that has implemented mandatory overtime during your lunch hour and if you are going to eat your lunch it has to be your 10 minute break.

The horrible part is that during your 10 minute break is when you can go to the bathroom....NO one is allowed to get up unless it is during a 10 minute break...

In essence you have to eat, pee, poop, all in 10 min....

So if your lunch is at 1....that means you haven't been able to get up since 8 when you walked in...

I know that this CAN'T possibly be legal........I looked at the Dept of Labor website and breaks are not mandatory....but can they not let us use the bathroom?

What do you guys think? I am so depressed, I have been in bed all day....I can't even think about going to work tomorrow....

The thing that gets me is that I am a supervisor...the Vp'S implemented this....and I feel horrible inforcing it....but if I don't...I get yelled at!

Originally posted by nopeeandpoop4me View Post
    I know that this CAN'T possibly be legal........I looked at the Dept of Labor website and breaks are not mandatory....but can they not let us use the bathroom?
    Legal.

Laws are not designed to protect companies from being stupid.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Sad isn't it?

Comment

pooh1942

You do not have to be a lawyer to tell you that is illegal has hell
        go to the bathroom and relax if they threaten or try to repremand you
        sue them.
        crazy

Comment

I believe it's OSHA laws that do require you be allowed "sufficient time" to use the restroom.

I'm confused about the reference in your subject line about "overtime during lunch". Are the employees actually working more than 40 hours in a workweek and not getting overtime pay?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The OSHA standard itself merely requires restrooms to be provided, but says nothing about providing reasonable access to use them.

However, OSHA did address this in

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=22932
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

But there is no Federal law and no law in Florida that requires an employer to provide a lunch break or even a ten minute rest break; nor does any Federal or Florida law prohibit mandatory overtime for general employment.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X