This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlighting on top of salary? Michigan

I am employed as a nurse practitioner for a hospital, and my employer is thinking about hiring moonlighters to help cover hours. My fellow practitioners and I are all salaried. We would love to moonlight and could easily cover the hours, but HR says we can't because they can't pay us hourly for doing the same job that we receive salary for. Does that sound right?

Yes. It is common for employers to disallow an employee who is exempt to also work in a position that is paid as nonexempt.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

You (the OP) are talking about Salaried and Hourly, which are just payment basis methods. The real issue is Exempt and Non-Exempt.

Under federal law (FLSA) the Exempt status is a function of all hours worked. By letting an employee work both Exempt and Non-Exempt duties, the employer risks losing the Exempt status for all hours worked. This is why many employers refuse to let one worker handle both Exempt and Non-Exempt jobs.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X