This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about overtime in New Mexico New Mexico

Greetigns and thank you for taking the time to read..

My Father is 56 years old and has been informed he has to work 7 days a week at 12 hours a day. He was also told that he will only be paid overtime when he goes over 8 hours worked a day...i.e. he works 12 hours one day he gets paid 4 hours of over time.

I thought any time over 40 hours a week was considered overtime by law, am I wrong? This was presented to him in writing.

Thank you in advance.

New Mexico does not require overtime to be calculated on a daily basis; however, there is nothing to prevent an employer from doing so.

The only problem I can anticipate would be if he worked over 40 hours in a week without ever going over 8 in a day. If, under those circumstances, they refused to pay him overtime he would be able to file a claim for unpaid overtime.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Many thanks and that scenario you made is also in writing

8 hours a day and on Saturdays and Sundays if he were to work the evening shift he would receive 10% pay increase on those days, but no overtime.

Comment

He must be paid overtime if he works more than 40 hours in a workweek (excluding the hours that are already being paid as 1.5 overtime because he works over 8 hours in a day--that is not required under New Mexico law).
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
          He must be paid overtime if he works more than 40 hours in a workweek (excluding the hours that are already being paid as 1.5 overtime because he works over 8 hours in a day--that is not required under New Mexico law).
          Thank you for your help, I guess the next step is to file a complaint against the company...

Comment

The following is a webpointer to the federal overtime rules.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

Just a thought, but not all employers mess up for the same reason. Some because they are knaves and some because they are merely fools. If you know which you are dealing with, you can tailor your response accordingly.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

DAW's post is dead on! (as usual)

I have seen some companies deliberately ignore the law, but many act upon what they think is right. The latter, when shown the error of their ways, will make corrections.

It may take as little as showing them a DOL fact sheet to make them see the light. It might take more than that.

In any event, if the employer is an honest, law-abiding entity, it will do what is right. If not, it is not a good place to work.
              Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X