This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel time grey areas!? California

Check this out. I work for a company that is located in San Diego. Ok. Most of the time we have to travel up north to Orange Co. and in L.A. Co. It takes us 1.5hrs and more to get to these job sites. So multiply that by 2 for going both ways. My employer is saying we need to be on the job and working by 7am and stop at 3:30pm, no matter where the job is.
    So if they want me to be at the shop at 5:30am and travel to the job site, is there a certain mileage that I can start counting my time or am I screwed? Let me remind you that I am a passenger and the company is providing the vechicale. I just feel something is not right because I help load up in the mornings but my pay does not start untill I get to the job a couple hours later. I need a definitive answer so I can get this out of my head. Can someone help me?

If you are required to take the company vehicle, in California, my understanding is that makes the time compensable (note that would not necessarily be true in other states), although it could be paid at as little as minimum wage as long as you are advised of that fact in advance..
    Contact the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement to file a claim for unpaid wages.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 03-14-2007, 02:58 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I thought so, much appreciated. Now I'm getting paid for travel time at my normal wage!

Comment

Originally posted by jharshey View Post
        I thought so, much appreciated. Now I'm getting paid for travel time at my normal wage!
        Not bad. More than is required by law.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I know this is not the case, but even if it were your own vehecile you should still be paid for time spent traveling + mileage (personal vehicle only).
          My intention is not to argue over who is wrong/right. I am here for the discussion and to learn and teach. If you dislike what I have to say or think I question you when I shouldn't, then by all means add me to your ignore list.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X