Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Fired Hippa violation, unemployment, other? Michigan

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fired Hippa violation, unemployment, other? Michigan

    A friend was just fired for a Hippa violation from the doctor office where she works. To make a long story as short as possible, here is what happened. A neighbor called her and she had a serious medical condition (our friend still has the voicemail from this call). Later, verbally asked her if she could print the report from the computer and show one of the doctors what they thought. Now the neighbor's husband called the office and informed them of the violation. Why would this guy do this? He has a history of beating his wife and our friend has called the police to report this. His wife is now saying she never did give consent. Our friend was then terminated. They want her to submit a letter of resignation and said she will not get unemployment compensation. Many question on what to do:
    1) Should she resign?
    2) Can she still get unemployment?
    3)Can she sue the neighbor for slander. Although she doesn't have her on tape asking for a second opinion, she does haver her telling of her condition. Also have a motive.
    4) Our friend was almost finished getting her RN. Will this jeopardize this?

    Thank you very much for any help in this matter.

  • #2
    Duplicate post ...


    • #3
      duplicate post
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.