This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part time benefits Illinois

I am a part time employee who works 20 hours per week. I understand that part time employees do not have benefits like full time employees do. However, two weeks ago, I was moved from one department that I have worked for over a year to another department with a new manager and supervisor with my job description remaining the same. After two weeks in the new department, my manager along with another had a special meeting with me. It appears that I have allowable time off each pay period. If I use it up by arriving late or call in absent, then my allowable time is docked. If all my allowable time is used, then my hours are cut until they deem me reliable to work again for my full 20 hours per week.
    Two things here. First, why was I not told of this new rule until after two weeks of working, by the way, I had already used up 2 days of my allowable time. In the past, I have not had this rule. I just made up that time by coming in early other times.
    Second, I was told this last night after I used up a few days and not when I started working for this department two weeks ago.
    How can a part time employee have some benefits such as being docked for allowable time but not having the same benefits like paid time off or health benefits. They can't have it both ways I would think.

I'm confused. What is "allowable time"? Vacation, sick?

In any case, I don't see anything illegal here. Would it have been better if they had advised you of this policy beforehand? Sure. Were they required to by law? No.

Not ALL benefits have to be offered to part-time employees. If the employer chooses to offer paid time off, but not insurance, they may do so.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X