This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Industry in NY New York

I am currently an Independant Contractor working as an assistant in the photo industry in New York City. The industry is quite insular and I've learned the hard way that unless you know your rights and keep firm to the agreements made before the shoot begins, then you can get walked all over. PA's in the film/tv industry are unionized, where the photo industry has no union.

Essentially I charge a day rate for a 10 hour day. Time and a half per hour worked after a 10 hour day.

I am considering jumping into a salaried position with a large company that employs assistants for various reasons- steady paycheck, higher profile jobs etc. Before i do, i want to know what my rights are as a salaried employee as to how long of a workday, do i have a right to ask for overtime (rumors of 20 hour days aren't unheard of) how many days in a row, etc.

Thanks

Assuming you are an exempt employee (salary is just a payment method), you could be asked to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week without a penny of overtime.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by larilou2007 View Post
      i want to know what my rights are as a salaried employee as to how long of a workday,
      With some industry specific exceptions, such as interstate truck drivers and airline pilots, you can only be required to work 24 hours a day. Make that 25 hours on the one day in the year when the clocks are turned back.

do i have a right to ask for overtime (rumors of 20 hour days aren't unheard of)
      If you are asking about getting paid for overtime, it is not an option for the employer for non-exempt employees. Your employer must pay you overtime for working more than 40 hours in a work week if you are non-exempt. If you are exempt, you are not required to be paid anything beyond your salary. Some states require non-exempt employees to be paid time and a half after a certain number of hours in a day (eight or twelve), but New York is not one of them, as I recall.

how many days in a row, etc.
      Some states require one day of rest in seven. Most do not. Even those that do tend to allow exceptions.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X