X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to work faster or written up. Illinois

hello,
    My union members work on a production line making parts. They were told to work faster or they will be disaplined. They have supervisors with stop watches and if hte operator does not make the rate then they get written up. Can they do that?

Unless specifically prohibited by your CBA, yes, they can.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

they are classifieing the write up as poor work performance? and no were does it have a list of items that say what is poor work performance?

Comment

There is no law that dictates what an employer may and may not classify as poor performance. That is up to the employer to decide.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I have yet to see anything, whether it be in a union or non-union environment, that offers a strict definition of what constitutes poor performance. Rather, there is an argument to be made that if the employer determines it is poor performance, then it is ...
          rjc
          Last edited by rjc; 02-03-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

i though work instructions were what you were to follow..and no were on the work instructions does it say you have to work fast? or a time?

Comment

If you are told to work faster, and are told to work to a specified time, then those are your instructions.

Comment

yes those are instructions but not work instructions..work instructions is what you read when you were hired and signed saying you would have no problem doing what was listed...

i think there is a difference?

Comment

There are two components of a production line output. Pieces produced and the time involved to produce those pieces.

If one or the other is lacking, that can be seen as a lack of performance.

Look at it the other way... if you slowed waaaayyyy down, say to a 10th of the amount of production, would you still believe it was okay.

Stopwatches are a bit draconian, but not illegal.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X