This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gave Notice and got walked out the door:-( Massachusetts

I gave my employer of 25 years 3 weeks notice and got walked out the door the same day. Do they need to pay me for any time after the day I gave notice?

Also, if not, how soon do they have to provide me with my final pay check (do they have to pay me the day they walk me out)?

I live and work in Massachusetts.

Thanks,

Originally posted by schwartzjb View Post
    I gave my employer of 25 years 3 weeks notice and got walked out the door the same day. Do they need to pay me for any time after the day I gave notice?

Also, if not, how soon do they have to provide me with my final pay check (do they have to pay me the day they walk me out)?

I live and work in Massachusetts.

Thanks,
    It's common practice now. If you are smart enough to know anything about the company you work for, you could do something during those last few weeks to harm them and it's now considered risky to keep someone past the day they resign in many cases.

They can fire you at any time, so they are not required to pay you for any time once you'd left even if you had planned to stay for a bit.

They don't need to pay you that day. Each state has a slightly different guideline, mine is 2 weeks.

Comment

They do not owe you for any unworked notice. The last day they owe you pay for is the last day you actually worked.

Since you quit, they have until the next regular payday to pay you your final check.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I found the following on the web. If I gave notice, but was then terminated, does the termination part of the Mass law supercede the notice?

"The Massachusetts Weekly Payment of Wages Law, G.L. 149, s. 148 et seq., is the most important protection for employee wages in Massachusetts. There are several key points to this law:

When should you be paid? Your employer must pay your earned wages within six days after the termination of the pay period or within seven days if you have a seven-day workweek. If you are terminated you must be paid in full on the day of discharge. If you resign you must be paid on the next payday."

Comment

You were not terminated. Your resignation was accepted immediately.

The fact that you were walked out does NOT turn this into a termination for which you are due immediate pay. You are still the one who instigated it. You would still be working had you not given your notice.

Pay is due on the next regular payday.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you....

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X