This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teachers and breaks California

I teach in a California public elementary school and every third week we are required, all week long, to spend our 20 minute recesss "on duty" on the playground. There is no time given for an official bathroom break although we try to squeeze one in, on the run before all of the students arrive to the playground. Our lateness is not, however, condoned. This gives us a continuous work period of 4 hours and 15 minutes (8:00 a.m. to 12:15p.m.) This does not feel right to me. Does this violate any state law?
    Thanks for any feedback! Judy

The general rule is below. I do not know if there is a school teacher related exception.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_RestPeriods.htm
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

As a teacher you may meet Professional exemption. Look to your union for informtion on breaks.
      My intention is not to argue over who is wrong/right. I am here for the discussion and to learn and teach. If you dislike what I have to say or think I question you when I shouldn't, then by all means add me to your ignore list.

Comment

You are not only exempt as a teacher, if you work for a public school, you are a government employee not subject to Cal break rules. Sorry.
        Megan E. Ross, Esq.
        Law Offices of Michael Tracy
        http://www.gotovertime.com

Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X