Michigan UI Employer Relocated/Sold Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan UI Employer Relocated/Sold Business

I worked for this employer for 5 years, and the lease on his building was about to expire. He told me he had found another place to lease. He indicated it was in the same building as an established business. He drove me to the new location, which was 45 miles from his then-current location, for me to consider this new location. At this point, I was handed a new employee packet in the expectation that I would be a new hire as an employee of that business. It was at this time I realized that my former employer had sold his business to this new business. I never willingly
    applied for employment at the new location.

I did not apply for a position at the new location, as it was excessive travel.

I did apply for Michigan UI benefits and was certified as eligible

Now, a year later, I receive a request from Michigan UI regarding the circumstances of my refusal of employment with an employer I had not applied with.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Effen

While you may not have gone through the application process with the new employer, it is possible that the terms of sale included the employees as an asset. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Simply contact them and explain that the business was sold and that the new location was too far away. This should not be a big deal if you do not make it so.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you cbg for your timely response.

It is my intent to point out that the new location involved excessive travel and expense, however, I cannot be sure how much travel is acceptable.

I did find a very similar post from 2007 (Kujo9630 09-25-2007}, and your thoughts were that "excessive travel" is very subjective. I just wish I could pin this down.

It is true that I was a crucial asset to this employer, and if I was sold as such an asset, he may be disgruntled that I did not follow him.

I do not want a dispute, yet I expect the possibility.

I'm going to look up MES ACT, Sec. 25 (1)(a) as referenced in that 2007 post. I assume this is Michigan Unemployment qualifications or such.

Thanks again,
      Effen

Comment

This is the best I could find

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5ah...ame=mcl-421-29

Comment

Excessive travel IS very subjective, and it is going to be state- and situation specific. However, while I am not a member of the Michigan UI Commission and therefore cannot carve anything for you in stone, I think it's unlikely that a commute of 45 miles each way is going to be found reasonable.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you, I'll post when I receive the determination.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X