Drive time stand by time and overtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive time stand by time and overtime

I am an electrician that travels to various mines, plants, gas stations, and other work sites. I drive a company truck that I take home. My employer just changed the policy for drive time from my normal wage to 12.00/hour. I don't get paid for worksites that are 30 minutes away from my home, but I get 12.00/hr on longer drives from my home. I was in overtime last week and my employer refused to pay overtime for drive time (1.5 x 12/hr). Is drive time considered stand by time or work time? Should I get paid overtime for drive time. I consider drive time "time that I am not able to do what I want with my time" as described in stand by time. Travel is a requirement for my job. If I am not doing what I want with my time and am spending time (and getting paid) traveling to where the work is, I think I should get paid my full rate and overtime should apply. At the very least, anytime over 40 hours is to be paid overtime correct? I never go to my office to check in. I always leave from home.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X